Please sign in to post.

Eating in Paris

Hi, my boyfriend and I are off to Paris in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. It's very important to me to eat healthily, which I think will be ahrd to do, as I want to experience French food as much as possible and not annoy my partner too much! The question is, can anyone suggest any healthy french delicacies to try, or any places to eat which can cater for both mine and my boyfriends tastes?
Thanks a lot

Posted by
225 posts

French food and the French people's attitude toward eating in general is far healthier than the US attitude toward eating. You shouldn't have a problem finding good and healthy food (actually a redundant statement with respect to French food). All French restaurants are required to post the menu outside, so you will be able to see what you might like before sitting down. You might want to stay away from the heavy cream/butter sauces, but there will be lots of vegetables, seafood, poultry and all of it will be fresh. Even the glaces from Berthillon can be consumed in moderation and be considered healthy.

Bon appetit and bon voyage.

Posted by
11507 posts

Since fish, chicken and fresh produce are sp very popular in France, I don't see how it could be a problem to eat healthy and well in France. Yes, they have yummy pastries and ice cream, but you could just not eat them( like if you were insane) .. but there are many ways to eat really really well there without eating anything that is battered, or deep fried in hot oil.
The only downside to the average casual meal in Paris I see is that fries are usually the offered side plate. I often just ignore them and order a side salad, or my favorite side , haricots verts, they are delish.
Salad composees are on many cafe lunch( and sometimes dinner ) menus. Huge big salads with tons of cold cooked veggies on top. Very yummy .

You are only going for a long weekedn, live a little, Paris is about some really awesome treats. try some rich cheese, or get a sinfully rich looking pastry.. it won't kill you!

Enjoy!

Posted by
852 posts

http://troi.cc.rochester.edu/~tdip/tomsguidetoparis.htm

Hi Sophie,
... the above link is Tom's Guide. With your mouse, copy the link, then paste it into your Internet search box - and touch ENTER on your computer's keyboard... voila! Find on the home page the icon EATING! and click on it. You are sure to find culinary marvels ... if you are searching for something not answered in the guide, just send Tom question(s) by email [click on CONTACT ME] at the guide web site... bon appétit! P