Please sign in to post.

Mont Saint Michel - To do or not to do?

My husband and I are going from Paris to Normandy for 2/3 nights. We plan to stay in Honfluer and Bayeux one night each and do the battlebus tour. The big questions is do we make the trek to Mont Saint Michel and do a night there too. PLEASE share you opinion. We do plan to have a car. Thx!

Posted by
186 posts

Do it! It was the highlight of our Normandy tour in April -- in fact I think it was the highlight of our entire three week trip. We hadn't planned on spending the night, but ended up doing so to keep from making the trek back to southern Normandy where we were staying. It was so worth it! Will most likely never get to go back since there are just so many other places to visit but I'll cherish the memory forever. I must've gotten up half a dozen times between 9PM or so and midnight before I finally fell asleep to look out our window and up at the abbey all lit up. If you can possibly get a reservation to stay on the island that will make your visit all the more memorable.

Posted by
408 posts

Jill,
I am planning a trip to France and have added a one night stay at the Mont. It sounds really beautiful and I wouldn't want to miss out on not seeing it.

Posted by
10344 posts

Find a few really good photos on the web. If you look at some really good photos and read a little about it, and it moves you the way it does some of us, then go and spend the night. If it leaves you unmoved...awwwww, go anyway.

Posted by
9436 posts

Yes! You will not regret it, there's no place else like it and it is absolutely wonderful. Especially in the evening and at night, and early morning, when most of the tourists are gone.

Posted by
66 posts

We leave tomorrow for a trip to the Netherlands, Belgium and France. My wife and I will be returning to Honfleur, Bayeux and Mont St. Michel which we saw on a trip several years ago but this time with my 80 year old mother and as the other folks have said before me, Mont St. Michel is a delight at night - the Abbey, the music, the sunset, and the whole ambiance are wonderful. By all means spend the night when you will have the opportunity to share the Mont with very few other people - it's very special. But one evening and the morning is enough - be gone before the daily crowds arrive. Enjoy.

Posted by
1455 posts

Jill, I got back 2 weeks ago, and we did MSM. It was worth the drive!!

We went at night when the daytime tourists left. It was still daylight but for times sake, it was 9:pm when we arrived, and the restaurants were opened.

You can stay the night there but I found it to be un-romantic. Tourists like me were poking around, and I don't think there's much privacy until probabaly closer to midnight.

I stayed at a chateau 15 min from MSM. This chateau belongs to a count and countesss, and its been in their family for generations. If your car has a GPS you'll have no problem finding the chateau.

PM me if you have ??s