Please sign in to post.

Eagle's Nest tour?

Hi -
For the Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaten,Austria, is it better to take a tour, as described in Rick Steve's book, or it is possible/worth it to take a bus and explore on your own? Trying to weigh the advantages of both.
Thanks,

Posted by
32320 posts

Kathy, IMO a guided tour would absolutely be the best option, as you'll get so much more information and a sense of the history, as opposed to just wandering about and looking at things. As I recall, the actual Eagle's Nest building is only two rooms (the view is great though), but there are some interesting stories about why the elevator leading to it has a mirrored interior.

If you decide on a tour, you have two choices - Bob's Special Tours based in Salzburg or Eagle's Nest Tours based in Berchtesgaden. You can check their web sites to determine which one would be preferable for you. There are easy Bus and Rail connections from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden - check Rick's books.

If you're interested you could also have a look at the Documentation Centre above Berchtesgaden, which includes access to some of the bunkers/tunnels. Most of the displays are in German, but English audio guides are available.

Happy travels!

Posted by
19232 posts

I would never take one of those package tours. The first time I went there, I bought a bus ticket to the top at Obersalzberg. When I got to the top there were English-speaking guides at the bus stop offering to guide you for a couple of Euro. That was worthwhile, but the $80 (€50) tours that include all your bus transportation are not worth the price. The second time I went, I didn't even avail myself of the local guides.

If you do it by yourself, you not only save $$$, you can do it at your own pace. You can spend as much time looking at what you want and don't have some guide saying, "We're going now" when you want to spend more time.

Posted by
850 posts

Kathy, this is a question that has been debated many times and you will get some who say to do it on your own and others who say to take the tour. I have not done it on my own so I cannot offer advice there. I have taken the tour with David and Chrisitne Harper and would highly recommend it. The link to their website is as follows:
http://www.eagles-nest-tours.com/EN/eagles-nest-tours/index.php?navid=2
David Harper is very knowledgeable on this subject and has written a book on it. His wife Christine is actually from the U.S. and is the one who guided our tour. She does an excellent job.

BTW, Berchtesgaden is in Germany and not Austria. It is very close to Salzburg however. The tour only operates during certain months. The website will explain it.
Another endorsement for this tour is here

http://community.iexplore.com/planning/journalEntryActivity.asp?JournalID=10382&EntryID=18071&n=Hitler%27s+Eagle%27s+Nest

Posted by
19232 posts

If you are already in Berchtesgaden, the cost of the round trip by bus to Obersalzberg is about €5 per person. Ask for a round trip because it is less than two one way tickets. Once you get to Obersalzberg, there is a kiosk for tickets (€15) for the special buses that go up to Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest) and back. The price of the bus ticket includes admission to the Nest.

If you are coming from Salzburg, the bus, the Watzmann Express, to Berchtesgaden leaves from the Hbf hourly. If you buy an RVO Tageskarte (day ticket, €8,50) it covers the bus to the Berchtesgaden Hbf plus the bus from there to Obersalzberg. You still need the ticket for the mountain bus to/from Kehlstein.

Posted by
81 posts

Thank you all for your information! In this particular case I think we'll transport ourselves.
This site is fabulous!

K.