Please sign in to post.

Bike Tours in Paris

If anyone is visiting Paris for the first time, a great way to see a lot in 3 1/2 hours is to reserve with Bike About Tours ($38). It was my second trip to Paris, and still a fun and enlightening experience. We saw so many areas I would have never got to in the 3 days we were there. The groups are small and limited at 10 people. Read more at www.bikeabouttours.com.

Posted by
11507 posts

I did the Fat Tire Bike Tour, two of them actually, the night city tour and the daytrip to Versailles. Very fun and so well run. Great guides.

Just google Fat Tires Bike tours Paris.

Posted by
126 posts

Although I didn't do a Fat Bikes Tour, we did pass one, and we counted the group, and there were 24 bikers. The first biker was an entire block ahead of the last biker. We found the intimacy of the small group at Bike About Tours to be a real plus. Our guide, Christian, did not make us feel like just another group of tourists. In addition to the popular sites, they added creativity to their tour by pointing out points of interest like the window scene from the movie Ratatouille and the mysteriously placed Space Invaders that appear on various buildings throughout Paris.

Posted by
51 posts

We have taken the Fat Tire Tours in both Paris and Berlin. We had a guide at the front of the group as well as one for the slower riders at the back of the group while in Paris. In Berlin a volunteer from the group stayed at the back of the group to ensure everyone stayed close together. I thoroughly enjoyed both bike tours. We have also done bike tours in Munich and New York City.

Posted by
11507 posts

Susan, having taken two of the Fat Tire tours, I can assure you our groups were well managed and the guides were excellant, also pointing out little sites as well as grand ones.

I am sure both companies are very good.

BTW Do you know where the founders of Mikes bikes tours are from?? They don't say anything on their website but that they are expats.

Posted by
53 posts

I did a Fat Tire day tour in Paris last summer and disliked it (huge group, obnoxious guide), so I've reserved a night tour with Bike About Tours for our visit to Paris next month after reading the rave reviews on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
12 posts

Are any of these bike tours suitable for an 11 year old athletic boy and a 15 year old athletic girl?

Posted by
11507 posts

Yes of course, both companies tours would be suitable for such older children and teens. I would not go much younger then 11 though, just because the child must have some street wise safety savy . The groups do as much as they can of cycling off road , , but of course they do have to go on the streets sometimes, so a young child, while they may be psyhically able to do the ride( these are not tough) may not have the focus and maturity ..
Yours sound fine.

Posted by
126 posts

As for Bike About Tours there is nothing strenuous or athletic about it. Its just a pleasant way to see a good cross-section of Paris in a small amount of time. I think an 11 & 15 year old would prefer it to walking, just my take.

Posted by
26 posts

I've considered a bike tour, but wondered how much of the tour is spent sharing narrow, winding, crowded roads with fast car drivers. Not a problem?

Posted by
51 posts

Not a problem doing bike tours! I have taken bike tours with my two children in New York City, Paris, Munich, and Berlin and we have thoroughly enjoyed each of them. I never felt unsafe or worried about my children riding. But, on the other hand, we love to ride bikes and know the rules of the road and feel very comfortable with riding.