Please sign in to post.

Gift ideas

Someone I know is moving to Belgium. Any gift ideas?

Posted by
9369 posts

If I were the person moving, I wouldn't want more stuff to move. But maybe a VISA gift card would come in handy for incidentals.

Posted by
1455 posts

Well, I'm guessing not chocolates!! LOL
Nancy is right.. hauling more stuff overseas is probably the last thing on someone's mind.

I think a Visa Gift card is a great idea! Moving anywhere is expensive, and moving overseas is very expensive!

If this is a permanent move, maybe a photo/scrapbook of your city, showing places you hung out, etc. and mail it to the address in Belgium.

Posted by
2297 posts

I agree, try to limit the STUFF that needs to be packed and moved. Most expats get waaaay too many photo albums as good-bye gifts ...

My favourite good-bye gift was a t-shirt that my friends decorated themselves for me. Very personal! I still wear it at night, holes and all, 17 years later :-)

If you're able to spend a bit of money (or pool with others for this gift) a subscription to a favourite US newspaper or magazine could be nice as well. Online editions might be more affordable than those that need to be shipped.

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Kirk,

... Assuming the someone's move is from USA to Brussels, maybe -- then something like a Benelux Atlas (book or CD) could be helpful - and appreciated.
... P