Please sign in to post.

sleeping in VENICE

Would you please recommend a place to stay in Venice for 2 days only? It seems that rooms cost at least 250 dollars (!) We will be staying in Venice during the 2nd week of June.

Posted by
10344 posts

June 2008? oh oh. Rick gives his picks in his book, and book today if possible because it's Venice.Or search on Venice in search box, browse the many discussions, some of which will contain recs from folks here that maybe aren't in the book. But do it now.

Posted by
6898 posts

I suggest trying the Hotel Messner (www.hotelmessner.it). It's in Rick's book. We paid 110Euro for a night there this time last year. They may put you in their 1-star annex a short distance down a side canal. We stayed there and it was very clean. Includes a nice breakfast.

Posted by
18 posts

If the places Rick recommends are full, you might want to try www.venere.com. When I wasn't able to get a room in Rome in my price range from Rick's list, I was able to find a convenient well-priced hotel. (I did carefully check out reviews.) FYI-If you stay in the San Marco district, you'll be (reasonably) close to at least 1 vaporetto stops & be close to/from St.Mark's square & other favorite sites.

Posted by
225 posts

I would encourage you to look up places under RS Heroic B & B's. Many places are not listed in RS book but his followers have tried other places that they love. We found many of our places on that site, but I can't tell you from a first hand experience since we have not gone on our trip yet. We are planning to stay with Anna Maria in Venice. There is a recent post about her...check it out. I guess RS removes posts if there are multiples, and when we viewed it before we saw many posts about her which made us choose her. She seems very personable and cost much less that most hotels. Many places get great reviews from RS followers, and it is a great way to hear more details of their experiences.

Good Luck!

Posted by
10344 posts

Re above post, the rates given above for La Calcina are for the low season only.Double room without view in high season (the poster says June) is typically going to be within the range given in the 2008 rate page, which is: €140/$225 to €158/$250 per nightLa Calcina rate pageA wonderful place and worth the money, if that price range is in your budget. Back when one dollar still bought one euro, we enjoyed one of the view rooms out onto the canal but those are pricey these days in dollars (sigh), another thing I can no longer afford in Europe.

Posted by
567 posts

Kent, before I posted I checked their website.

I put in June 12, 2N, and that was the specil rate for a double in June. Perhaps the dates in June have different rates.

Posted by
355 posts

In 2005 we stayed at Locanda Al Leon. It had a wonderful location, was clean and the staff was very good. We stayed in their annex for 3 nights and main hotel 1 night. Annex was much more spacious, but I would stay in either place again. It was a RS recommendation in 2005 but I don't know if he still recommends it.