Please sign in to post.

One night in Paris

My wife and I are staying over in Paris for 1 night and 2 days en route to Italy. We bought the Rick steves Italy book, but have not any reference for Paris. We are looking for a reasonably-priced sleeping quarter in Paris for the night, one from which it would be easy to see Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysses. Any suggestions of your own or from Rick's Paris book would be greatly appreciated.
Alan

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick touts two areas for sleeping: Rue Cler and the Marais. His hotels are sometimes difficult to book because we all have his books and there are only a few hotels listed. There are many worthy areas in Paris and many hotels to choose from. So, just for a change of pace, I'm going to give you a few that are not in Rick's book. But first I need to know your price range, the cost/day you're looking for.And then if you want Rick's picks you can buy his book or use the search function (upper right) and find his picks in the Rue Cler and Marais.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi, Kent.
Thanks for your response. I don't know what is realistic for Paris. I have been so focused on Italy that I am not sure what is reasonable. I figured between 75-100 Euro. What can you suggest for that?

Posted by
10344 posts

That is on the low end of the Paris big city price range. Your wife (and you) may be happier if you go up a bit in price, say to €125, it's just one night.In order of price, here are the lowest cost (but nice) hotels in the Michelin red guide book in their "assez comfortable" category for the 5th arrondissement, these are exact names so Google for websites:
Devillas, 4 blvd St MarcelPierre Nicole, 39 rue Pierre NicoleFamilia, 11 rue EcolesHotel St-Jacques, 35 rue Ecoles

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you Kent. I will look into these right away. I think you also gave us feedback on our 10 day trip to Italy. Your comments were quite valuable. Thanks for that. We have an itinerary set that we are quite comfortable with. We dropped Rome from the trip.
alan

Posted by
10344 posts

Glad we could help. Here are some hotels in the 7th arrondissement:Leveque, 29 rue Cler (ok, I said I wasn't going to do this but it's also in Michelin)Bersoly's, 28 rue LilleFrance, 102 blvd la tour maubourgChamp-de-Mars, 7 rue champ-de-mars

Posted by
239 posts

Hi Alan--I haven't stayed at Bersoly's, but it's located near a good RER line for quickly seeing the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame and is not far from the number 12 metro line to get you back home after strolling the Champs-Elysees. You would be close to the Musee D'Orsay, too, and the area is quiet and residential but not too far from the famous cafes at Place Saint Germain-des-Pres. Seems like a good spot if you only have a short time. Check out reviews on trip advisor.