Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Nice France

Have reserved a room at the Hotel Ellington in Nice for this spring. Does anyone have opinions on this property? Also what is the best way to get from the Nice airport into town?

Posted by
25 posts

Hi, I also had made a reservation for the Hotel Ellington, but after reading the reviews in tripadvisor.com I decided to cancel. At first I thought maybe I should keep it, we all have different views as to what is acceptable in a hotel, but then again can so many people be wrong about the same hotel.

I decided to book my stay at the Hotel Nice Riviera, for about the same price. You should search through the hotel reviews in tripadvisor.com and then decide.

Good luck :)

Posted by
8700 posts

It's quite simple--and cheap--to take a city bus from the airport into town. See this page from the Nice airport site for all your options: http://tinyurl.com/25oool.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks for the input. The Ellington does not sound like a place we would enjoy. Does anyone have other Nice hotels that they can reccomend? This would be our second bad experience through Hotels.com. Stayed in a dark, unkeep 3* in edinburgh last year. Thinking about the BW Hotel DeFlore. Any thoughts?

Posted by
8700 posts

In his Provence and the French Riviera guidebook, Rick Steves calls the Hotel Le Clemenceau "a spacious two-star hotel that feels like a three-star." After staying there for five nights in 2005, my wife and I and our adult daughter would agree. The hotel is air-conditioned and is conveniently located between the Nice Ville train station and the beach. See www.hotelclemenceau.com.

Posted by
85 posts

Hotels from the large American chains are often a disappointment in Europe, perhaps because part of you expects them to be like they are here. The two worst hotels I encountered in Europe were big American chains reserved on that well-known reservation website. They weren't bad, exactly, just small and dreary.

I have, however, had great luck with Best Werterns in Europe. (They're a little different anyway - individually owned hotels that pay to be part of the brand, and have to live up to its standards.)

I also stayed at a Rick Steves' pick in Nice. I stayed at the Excelsior (www.excelsiornice.com) and loved it. Rick's hotel recommendations have never steered me wrong.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks everyone for the input but the hotels suggessted are not available for our stay. Thinking of the Splendid Hotel, also in Rick's book. Any reviews would be appreciated.