Please sign in to post.

Euro Exchange

Where in Paris can you get the best exchange rate for USD to Euros? Is going to a bank vs. the airport exchange better? Thanks!

Posted by
11507 posts

Inoka, do you mean you are going to bring US dollars ( cash) and then change it in Paris?? I wouldn't do that since it is not save to have all your money with you, and the exchange rate will not be good at exchange booths.

I think previous posters advise is best. Put your money in a chequeing account at home , with a four digit PIN, and withdraw cash every 3 or 4 days with your ATM card.

Posted by
3 posts

we weren't planning on bringing any cash but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with which bank had the best exchange rates. thanks!

Posted by
17 posts

when we were there 2 years ago, the banks did not want to exchange us dollars for euros. i had to go to the post office (?? go figure), where the transaction was quite
easy. the rate was not TOO bad. US dollars not very useful in france, oddly enough. Just on the plane.
for what its worth. good luck et bon voyage!

Posted by
14 posts

Here´s a website that gives the current exch rate and also has a way to figure the ´hidden´ bank charges on your debit/cc card. Wont do you any good before your trip, but while you are in Europe, you will know which banks to avoid. In Paris, one bank had a $11 chg and another bank chgd $5.
www.xe.com go to tools then more then to credit card charge calculator.

Posted by
1455 posts

Inoka, Cathy is right. Check first to see if your bank will charge you a fee. Most banks will charge you the regular "Non bank ATM" fee, plus whatever the other ATM machine charges.

You will find some of the bigger banks will offer "Fee Free" to withdraw.

Also, some credit unions will offer free free. Are you from the OC as in So Cal?? I bank with Orange Countys C.U. and they allow me 3 free withdraws per month with a non- CU ATM, and then they just ding me a buck after that per transaction, and no conversion fee.

When travaeling I separate my personal money from my trip money (in case the card is lost/stolen), and the OCCU seems to work best for me.