Please sign in to post.

Vienna day trips

I found a tour company that does day trips from Vienna to Salzburg and even Budapest, I have limited time/money and think these day trips would be good, I can understand a day trip to Salzburg but Budapest seems a little ambitious. Has anyone done this, the tour company I am considering is www.viennasightseeingtours.com Thanks for any help

Posted by
389 posts

Cora, I haven't used that company but did a day trip from Vienna to Budapest and it worked well. I beleive you need to start early and don't experience and night life, but the things we saw on the city tour gave us a good general feel for the city. We stopped a lot, they took us shopping which I thought was a bit pricey for Budapest, but we saw 10 of the most interesting sites of Budapest. This was in 1988, so I'm sure things have changed. I've been back to Budapest for much longer stays and still the one day tour really exposed me to the majority of the sites. I'd say go for it.

Posted by
69 posts

I'd just do a little research on Salzburg regarding sights and history, then grab a train (around 3 hrs.). Salzburg is easily done in one day, get a simple B&B for an overnight and enjoy. With the money you save from not using the tour company you can enjoy a nice meal there. They probably offer a book at the local national tourist office in Salzburg, similar to the one that is offered in Vienna, (Vienna A-Z) which points out all the places of interest, usually marked with flags.

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Cora,
Here are three day trips from Vienna:...
For an evening "trip" take tram 38 to Grinzing and enjoy Heuriger hopping. Ask a tourist information office in Vienna which can provide further detail.
Baden bei Wien is a short train trip from Vienna. It's a delightful town. There's also a special train line called the Badener Bahn. Inquire locally.
Melk is a small town on the Danube river just a quick train trip from Vienna's Westbahnhof. The famous Melk abbey is there. An incredible place. And if you make necessary arrangements (ask the Vienna Tourist Office) you might even take a river cruise return trip to Vienna from Melk.
Whatever you do, have a wonderful adventure ... and keep on traveling ! P.