Please sign in to post.

Germany-Austria-Switzerland

After meeting lots of friendly Germans and Austrians in other parts of the world I have decided to travel through Germany this summer. I have done very little research (busy) and was hoping some of you could help me with my homework. I will be there mid June until early-mid July depending on circumstances; between 2-3 weeks most likely. I'm looking for a sort of "best of tour". I am am coming from the restrictive Middle East and so am desperate for a bit of fun and some strenuous activity (hiking comes to mind) along with the culture and history that the region offers. I would like to see Vienna, Berlin or Munich and some of the other biggies (Zurich?) as well as Gimmelwald which Rick Steves raves about (I am hoping to spend a week in the Alps). Last year I toured Italy and saw a mix of big cities/small towns which I would like to try this time as well. A little dose of the youth scene would be appreciated. Any advice on accomodation? I generally look for hostels/pensions and occasionally hotel it up in the cities. I plan to avoid using the car unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted by
2779 posts

Berlin has got a lot to offer and you'd need at least 3 days to cover the highlights of Berlin and Potsdam. Also the city is pretty much the party capital of Europe at the moment. There are direct flights from some M-E. cities to Berlin. Also there are low cost flights from Berlin to Vienna, Munich, Zurich and Geneva. Munich is OK but definitely less spectacular than Berlin. Half a day for a city tour should do, especially if you're then off to Salzburg, which is more worthwhile IMO. Of course you should spend a few days in the Füssen/Neuschwanstein area which also is Alpine. Generally speaking there is better youth and party scene in Austria and Bavaria than in Switzerland. Switzerland is more for the retired people. Zurich is nice but as spectacular as Minneapolis. Lucerne has got much more to offer. If you can rent a car from Munich to see Neschwanstein and the Alpine area surrounding it and drop it off at Freising, German side of Salzburg. Short train ride from the...

Posted by
2779 posts

... Freising station (where the car drop off is) to downtown Salzburg. Unless of course you want to drive the Großglockner high altitude road, which is a great thing to do. Driving one of the Alps highest roads... A car might also be good for driving thru the Lake district by Hallstadt, just outside of Salzburg.

Posted by
11 posts

Nick, my wife and I had a an itinerary planned and changed it when we got a glimpse of Lindau, Germany on the Bodensee. It's an incredible stop. I highly recommend it.

Posted by
5678 posts

Berlin is wonderful. I would spend at least three days there and you could easily spend more time. You might want to check out Dresden on your way south. It was surprising and the Frauen Kirche restoration just was completed last year. Vienna is spectacular. Bear in mind that there isn't much music in the summer time. But, if they have the evening concerts at the Rathaus you should go to them. It's a giant jumbotron of the previous winter's concerts and it's free! You can buy dinner at a Taste of Vienna type arrangement. If you are interested in Nazi Germany you might want to check out Nuremberg. One of my tour mates enjoyed his visit.

Pam

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Nick,
... As respects Vienna, I recommend you find a copy of a book entitled VIENNAWALKS by Sydney Jones. It confines itself, largely, to the central old city. To research Heurigers, you need other advice. You can easily get that after you arrive.
... Also, I would put Hallstatt on my itinerary and plan 2 to 3 nights stay.
... In Vienna, Pension Pertschy, a nice place in the heart of the city... In Hallstatt, Gasthaus Zauner.
... Have a great trip! P

Posted by
216 posts

You won't go far for the youth scene if you confine your travels to the three cities (and leave Zürich out of it, because this very commerce-oriented city is not big on a 'scene' except for hard drugs).

Berlin has had a well-deserved reputation for nightlife (Cabaret!) and youth events (Love Festival!). München has an entire district devoted to entertainment (Schwabing) and definitely is not staid. Vienna also has a great many places for 'action': www.vienna.info provides links to Vienna Live. So you got that covered . . .

Hiking opportunities abound, even in sprawling Berlin. Many well-marked hiking trails in the Alps, and often you can take a cog rail or gondola up to higher levels from which to explore the gorgeous scenery. Quite a contrast from the Middle East.