Please sign in to post.

getting to gimmelwald

I planed my trip to go from Munich to Gimmelwald? Does anyone know how long it will take? Or sugestions to make it faster? Should I rent a car instead of the taking the train? Any suggestions whould be great.

Posted by
7209 posts

By no means should you rent a car just to go from Munich to Gimmelwald...unless you're just dying to rent a car.

The rail connections are good, and you can't take a car to Gimmelwald anyway. You can check rail schedules at www.sbb.ch/en Looks like the time ranges from 7:41 to 8:51 in length.

You will eventually end up at Interlaken Ost where you will take a little train to Lauterbrunnen. The train stops in Lauterbrunnen so you'll have to jump on the Post-Bus for a 5 minute ride from there to the Stechelberg Gondola station. Hop on the gondola and the first stop will be Gimmelwald, the 2nd will be Muerren, and the 3rd will be the Schilthorn.

Posted by
16026 posts

It takes about 8 1/2 hours by train, bus and cable car. It is a fun journey. The easiest route departs Munich at 8:40 am; you change at Karlsruhe for a direct train to Interlaken Ost. From there, you go to Lauterbrunnen (train), Stechelberg (Postbus) and up to Gimmelwald by cable car. You can view the schedules online at www.rail.ch Renting a car would be expensive and imprctical, because you can't drive up to Gimmelwald; you would leave it in the carpark at Stechelberg.

Posted by
3 posts

HI Greg, I ditto what was said. You do not need a car. We traveled by train in Switzerland lots. It was swiss time!! If you are planning to do more than Gimmelwald (trying to remember the great restaurant there?) there is a rail pass you can travel on for several days. cheaper than individual ticket.
Karen

Posted by
6 posts

My husband and I are returning to Europe later this year. We are also going to Gimmelwald from Munich. Personally, we prefer to rent a car because of the freedom and the roads are easy to drive. There are also several sights we want to visit along the way. For example, we plan to eat lunch in Lindau on Bodensee. A good website for distances and travel time is mappy.com. We went to Europe last October and the distances were pretty accurate.

Posted by
7209 posts

There is a main train station in Lindau as in most European cities :-) We've travelled by car on 2 trips and by train on 3 trips. One year we spent our entire vacation in Switzerland with a Swiss Pass - what a dream! Our whole family much prefers trains these days!

Now, yes, there are some areas where a car is helpful. If you are planning on a trip to Ludwig's Neuschwanstein or Linderhof then a car is most helpful.