Please sign in to post.

Chocolate Train

I'm going to Switzerland in June and the 'Chocolate Train' from Montreux seems like a fun day trip excursion. Has anyone been on it before? Is this something you'd need to make reservations for in advance? Thanks!

Posted by
263 posts

Hello Lauren,
My wife and I took the chocolate train three years ago....it was a great experience. We made reservations when we got there, but it would be better to make them in advance. At the time, they offered two coach choices...vintage (about 1920 style) and modern. We opted for the vintage, but it was warm and they are not air conditioned. The modern were...so if heat bothers you, opt for modern. We toured the Caillers (sp?) chocolate plant and visited a sampling room and a store. The samples were great as was the view along the way.
Enjoy your stay....don't miss Castle Chillon just outside Montreux....neat place.
Terry D

Posted by
20 posts

Yes, I went on the chocolate train, too. It is well worth it. The town of Gruyere/cheese factory is actually better than the chocolate part. It is definitely worth doing. Agree--don't miss Chillon.

Posted by
1 posts

It is well worth the trip. My wife and brother-in-law will be making our second trip this August. The restaurants in Gruyere are exceptional.

Posted by
408 posts

Lauren,
My husband and I took the chocolate train last Oct. We made reservations a few days ahead at the train station in Grindelwald. We did recieve a discount with the Swiss pass (Flexi pass). We enjoyed the train and the sites that were included. We had the whole modern train to ourselves. Be warned, first hot cocoa was free and the second one had a fee. They didn't tell us until they served us. I would do it again. Have a fun trip.