Please sign in to post.

Munich or Berlin?

Hi everyone,
I have about 7 days to travel. Originally, I was going to go to both Berlin and Munich but I am thinking that now, that would be overkill...both for the checkbook and for me personally...

1) Do you think that Munich and Berlin can be done on a 6 or 7 day trip?

2) If I have to choose between the two, which one should I choose?

Posted by
2779 posts

Time-wise you can do both within a week. For Berlin and Potsdam you need around 3 days, maybe 4 if you want to visit the museums on museum island. Downtown Munich can be done within a day, maybe two if you want to visit the German Museum. Cost-wise Berlin is much, much cheaper than Munich...

Posted by
82 posts

thanks for the info! anyone else have an opinion?

Posted by
80 posts

I would agree with Andreas. I would be certain, however, to make a day trip from Munich to visit Ludwig's Castle. With a rental car you can easily do it in a day.

Posted by
27 posts

Hi Erica:

If yoy have an idea what to do in both cities you can split 3 days in Berlin & 3 in Munich, the ICE High Speed Train takes about 6 hrs or less from Munich to Berlin, but if you want to visit more places in each city only choose one. Germany is my favourite Travel Destination, but Berlin is my favourite is the only city I have twice, & I plan to go again, German Ice Hockey & the Toastmasters Group will prompt me to go back again. Hope this helps.

Posted by
14 posts

I went to Germany last year and spent 3 days in Berlin and 2 days in Munich. I flew into Berlin so was jet-lagged when we got there. I wish I had more time in Berlin! I am a huge WWII Buff, so Berlin was the way to go for me. I spent more time walking around Berlin and enjoying the city. There were alot of small museums that you could enjoy during the day and once they are closed, you can still walk around and see more sights without the pressure of time. I hate when I have to pace myself due to time constraints and rush through some things. You could easily do both, but Berlin was my favorite.

Posted by
990 posts

If you have to choose, it's Berlin all the way. One of the great cities of the world. If it were me, I'd dedicate 5 days to Berlin and 2 to Munich to see both. If you book far enough ahead, Air Berlin is a terrific inexpensive way to get from one to the other. The flight is only about an hour, with the usual time invested on each end. Still a better deal than train, assuming you can book far enough in advance to get a good fare.

Posted by
14 posts

Yes, I think they can both be done on a 6 or 7 day trip. I was in Germany 2 years ago and I did both. I took the overnight train from Munich to Berlin. (That's another story altogether...) Overall, I think there is more to see in Berlin but Munich is AWESOME! You will also want to see Dachau and Ludwig's castles as day trips (or 1/2 day in the case of Dachau) from Munich. Berlin has SOOOO much to see and do just within the city itself. I spent 2 nights in each city but could easily have spent a week in each one. Visiting both is definitely not overkill because the two cities are SOOOOOO very different and I can confidently say that both of them are must-sees for a trip to Germany.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please email me privately and I'd be happy to answer your questions!