Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Amsterdam

Looking for a RS/2* type hotel in Amsterdam that someone stayed at and would recommend for a 50/60 yo couple.

Posted by
10 posts

The least expensive, yet clean and comfortable place I found to stay in Amsertdam was

Tulips B&B
Sloterkade 65

mobile nr 06-53760967 (dial # from coin phone)
From mobile dial 00 31 6 53760967
Paul and Karen Galdermans
www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.net

This B&B is listed in Rick's book. They have rooms with private and/or shared baths. We got a room with a private bath for 100 euro in October, would be cheaper for shared bath.

From the Centraal Station take Tram 1 and exit at Overtoomsesluis. Cross over bridge and turn left along the water. This is Sloterkade.

Posted by
1003 posts

I've booked the Hotel Orlando for this summer. 100 euros for 2 people in August, 3 stars, and gets good reviews from what I've found. He has a couple more expensive rooms, too, but for my friend and I we don't care much.

www.hotelorlando.nl - the owner Paul seems to be a very nice guy.

Posted by
2 posts

I'll be in Amsterdam next week - we're staying at one of the Accor hotels w/ my parents (both in their late 60s). If this was acceptable to my Dad, based on reading their website and reviews, then this should work for anyone. I'll try to post again after we get back with details.

Posted by
2788 posts

Thanks folks - there are so many choices on so many web sites it certainly helps to get first hand recommendations - charlie

Posted by
192 posts

We (hubby and I, both in our mid-60's)stayed at the Hotel Washington in April '06 and we liked it fine.
The usual steep stairs, but our room was large, and the bathroom was bigger than ours here at home!
Fresh towels every day (no washcloths).
About the stairs--I was 3 months out of a total knee replacement and I managed fine (with my trusty cane!).
The breakfast is not huge, but it's good--boiled eggs, slices of cheese and ham, bread, juice (usually OJ), milk, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh fruit. The eating area is smallish, can seat maybe 20 people, so you get to visit with other guests.
The owners were, at that time, a couple of brothers from Turkey, brand-new to the business and were not as relaxed as they probably are now, but we had no problems to speak of.
The hotel is just a couple minutes' walk to a tram stop, and it's in a quiet neighborhood.
We'd stay there again.

Posted by
14 posts

Having lived in Amsterdam for several years, i would recommend staying outside of the city center due to noise and congestion. I go back to visit 3-4 times a year and stay at the Hotel Heemskerk located at the museumplien at the back of the concertgebouw. It is a small hotel with the owner living in the hotel. it has a variety of room options and prices are reasonable and include a light breakfast. Hotel is 3 blocks from van gogh museum and rijksmuseum and can easily be reached on foot or by tram. www.hotelheemskerk.nl

Posted by
6 posts

I recommend what Rick Steves says..Stay In Haarlam..15 min by train into the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam

Posted by
334 posts

We stayed at Hotel Brouwner on Singel Canal (we're in our 50s). It was in Rick's book (95 Euros in July, 2006). It's a small hotel, family owned. They have enlarged their few rooms a lot to add a private bath. We had a wonderful, huge room overlooking the canal. There was a very small "red-light" district in the alley behind, but we didn't even know that at first and it was no problem. We tried to go back the following week, but they were full. It's only a few blocks from the train station. Wandering the canals rather than the main shopping street is much more interesting - we went down the main street when we arrived and if we hadn't found a "different" Amsterdam, would have put this city at the bottom of our list. We found an Amsterdam that we really enjoyed, but it was off the beaten track.

Posted by
973 posts

While this is not exactly what Charlie was seeking, I hate to start a new thread for something similar. We're a 50-60 yo couple with 2 teenagers,headed over in 3 weeks.I'm torn between the Hestia and the Mercure Arthur Frommer. Three of us have been to AMS before so we need to rest after the flight and let the younger one enjoy AMS for 3 days. That said, we will need our sleep! The Frommer seems to be on a quieter street ( even if reviews say it is A/C,who knows if it is working). White noise,quiet,and cooler air will keep everyone from being grouchy.
Opinions, please? Quad rooms are available in both. Thanks for your opinions!

Posted by
676 posts

B&B Batavia. I can't remember the price but it was less than 100 euros. May be higher in summer. It's a couple minutes walk (5-10) to the canal part of A-dam, about another 5-10 min to Anne Frank House. You do have to walk thru some streets that are undergoing construction, a few boards over dirt kind of thing, but nothing bad. Only 2 rooms on 1st floor (owners live on 2nd and 3rd), breakfast in room-cold cuts, cheese, bread, jam, orange juice, coffee, tea, chocolate sprinkles! The 2 rooms adjoin but door locks in-between.