Please sign in to post.

Romantic Road

Next week we'll be driving from Fussen to Rothenburg. Two questions: any suggestions for picnic spots along the way with idyllic setting and how plentiful are rest rooms along that route (you thirty-somethings out there may think that a silly question, but many of you sixty-something guys can appreciate its seriousness.

Posted by
12040 posts

I wouldn't know about the whole road, but from at least Augsburg to Peiting (where the more scenic Alpenstrasse forks off), there are no public WCs. The Romantische Strasse is not a part of the Autobahn network, hence, no public toilets. There are plenty of restaurants, though.

Posted by
22 posts

I just did the same route in march and dont recall rest stops. I also remembered it as not being that far, maybe under 3 hrs with no speed limit on the autobahn.
anyway, when we needed a restroom, we fill up our gas and ask to use it.
no problem at all.
try the italian restaurant across from kathe wohlfahrt christmas store. It is the best.
we also stayed at the golden rose which is the same hotel that rick steves uses.

Posted by
20 posts

I agree with Bea, having just done the Romantic Road last week. No official rest areas or picnic areas. We made use of the ever present MacDonalds (unfortuneately) for bathroom stops. A lot of the small towns have a square or a museum where you could picnic, but you may have to drive slightly off the Romantic Road to find them.