Please sign in to post.

Madrid - Arrival by car

Hello, fellow Europe travelers

We are two couples that will be traveling by rental car for three weeks in Spain in May. As with a number of our other car tours of European countries we will generally follow Rick Steves' guide & intinerary. However, the recent guide books do not seem to provide the usual "arrival by car" information and suggestions for Madrid. We understand that taking a car into the city is highly discouraged, so would appreciate any advice on either: 1) hotels with parking that can readily be accessed by car and that are located such that we can take other transport to the top Madrid attractions? or 2)possibly a location where the car can be securely parked and we can taxi or metro in to a city center hotel? We will be traveling to Madrid from Toledo.

Posted by
1178 posts

The only place that comes readily to mind would be the airport at Barajas. Or perhaps one of the hotels in that area. You could take transportation from the airport to any of the hotels in the main city. Basically, I have seen no high rise parking deck as are found in the states. Why? Because the parking is underground (under the sidewalks, under the streets, under the large fountains), some public, and some private. Under no circumstances would I attempt to drive in Madrid unless I knew the route and knew it well...In Toledo, no tourist cars are permitted within the historic area. Parking is available in designate areas adjacent to it.

Posted by
12172 posts

Look at a map of the Metro. Pick a hotel outside of the center, with free parking, that is walking distance to a metro station.

The metro is inexpensive. We stayed in town without a car so I don't recall when the metro closes for the night. If it's early, you may still have to rely on a taxi home at night.