Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in September

I was planning Paris and Switzerland in early June 2014. Now I have to push it to early September. I am wondering what the weather might be like in the Bernese at that time as one of the highlights is a paragliding adventure! Thanks all!

Posted by
85 posts

We were in the Bernese for the first two weeks in September last year and it was beautiful. Clear blue skies, chilly at night but comfortable during the day. We didn't do the paragliding although I do want to if we return. I would book it in the afternoon once it's warmed up and you should be fine. We watched them a lot and they seem to have all the gear you need to stay comfortable.

Have fun!

Posted by
12040 posts

September is usually the best month for hiking weather. It's a drier time of the year, but the chances of a heat-wave are minimal compared to July and August. I've seen fresh snow in the Alps in September, but just a light coating. Nothing that would interfere your planned activities, unless you tried paragliding during the actual storm.

Posted by
32202 posts

steve,

September is typically the time-of-year that I travel in the Berner Oberland, and the weather is usually great (although no guarantees of course - I've encountered overcast conditions and light rain a couple times). I also enjoyed a Paragliding flight on one of my September visits a few years ago, and it was fantastic!

Happy travels!

Posted by
3941 posts

We had a few days in Murren/Spiez area in early Oct 2010...absolutely glorious...I had packed some lightweight long underwear thinking we'd need it...not at all. We stayed with some folks in Bern who took us for a downhill hike and the sun was so fierce, I had to take my boots off and let my feet cool halfway down, then dip my toes in the lake at the bottom of the hill...hopefully you experience the same great weather (we always go for about 3 weeks mid Sept-early Oct and have yet to have more then 2 days of rain on any of our trips...except our NY/DC trip in 2011 - we hit the end of a hurricane/tropical storm)...paragliding is on my bucket list...hope it's a blast!

Posted by
656 posts

Thanks again for all the advice. You all are awesome! So glad I found this forum.

Posted by
656 posts

I checked out there site Chris. Looks good. You have used them?