Please sign in to post.

Train Travel Dec 26

We will be leaving Salzburg on Dec 26 to get to Munich for our afternoon flight home. We were planning on buying the Bayern ticket, but I'm now wondering how busy train travel is on that day and whether we should be buying tickets for a specific train? There are 7 of us and our flight leaves at 3pm with a layover in Frankfurt so we planned on taking a 10am train and then eating lunch at the airport.

Posted by
19092 posts

December 26 is a national holiday in Germany, second day of Christmas. The only time I have ever been on an express train that was SRO was on the 26th of December.

Regional trains, on which you can use the Bayern-Ticket, do not have reserved seats. As long as you can get into a train car, you can travel, but you might have to stand, at least at first. The 10:12 Regional train starts in Salzburg. You can get there early, with plenty of time, and get a seat. Seven people with a Bayern-Ticket would cost you 64€, total.

The 10:00 EC comes up from Bischofshofen; there will already be people on board when the train gets to Salzburg. If you book advance purchase Saving Fare tickets for the EC, the total cost could be as low as 88€ and you could buy reservations for 4€/person extra.

Both trains stop at München Ost, from which you can take an S-Bahn to the airport. The S-Bahn will be included in the fare with the Bayern-Ticket or a Savings Fare ticket if you book it to the airport.

Posted by
964 posts

Kathy, can I suggest you post your question on the Transportation thread (unless you already have the answer of course)?
There are some really knowledgeable folk that may not read this part of the Helpline.

Posted by
19092 posts

@ Maggie
I think most frequent (knowledgeable?) posters on the Wall watch all the boards (I personally follow Gen. Europe, Transportation, and To the West). Posting the same question on multiple boards just fragments your responses.

&Kathy,
The fares I gave above are assuming all seven of you are adults. If any are children under 15, they travel for free (plus reservations) on a Savings Fare ticket (the EC) if they are included on ticket.

Hint: if you try to make one purchase for seven people it will switch you to Gruppe und Spar, which will not be the lowest price. To book online, you will need to make two bookings. All children and their parents can get a Family Reservation for 8€.