Please sign in to post.

Munich and Austria

I'm going to be in Munich and Austria for 1 1/2 days in each city arriving in Munich first on 3/12/08. My plan is to see the Hofbräuhaus on the night we arrive (not serious drinkers but want to see it) and the following day see Marienplatz among other places. Any suggestions as to "must see" places in Munich? I was thinking about taking a tour of the BMW factory but don't know what else I should see.

In regard to Vienna, I have no plan at all and would appreciate any recommendations. We are three men in our 40s with energy.

Posted by
61 posts

We were in Munich three days last September and used Rick's book as a guide. A bit of advice: visit the Hofbrauhaus, but don't eat there. I had one of the worse meals and absolutely the most disgusting sausage I've ever eaten. The Altstadt can easily be covered in a day. At the time, there was scaffolding all across the front of the Rathaus Glockenspietl. You could still see the clock, but it was disappointing. I was particularly awed by the all-white Theatinerkirche. Although Rick says that it is over the top, I still enjoyed the small Rococo Asamkirche. The Residenz was spectacular, and my husband really enjoyed the Deutches Museum. We had lunch in the Englishcher Gartens and watched the newly weds arrive. The Nymphenburg Palace is in the same area as the BMW Plant. We could easily have stayed a week and not come close to seeing the city. Have a good trip!

Posted by
342 posts

Hi Sergio, I personally would skip the Hofbrauhous, I found it to be too much for tourists. I would opt for a local beer hall or bar for a better atmosphere. While the above suggestions are very good, you did mention the BMW museum. Are you aware that they have recently opened BMW world? If you hunt around on the BMW site you will find information on that. It is very near the BMW museum and very close if not across the street from the Olympic grounds of 1972. Also don't forget about Dachau, which is just outside of Munich. Munich is a great city, and whatever you chose do to you will not be disappointed. Have a great trip.

Posted by
55 posts

In Munich I found the Third Reich Walking tour offered by Original Munich Walks was very interesting . If you have time Panarama Tours offers a King Ludwig's Castle bus trip that was very good also.

Posted by
38 posts

Thank you all to those who have responded to my original post - it has helped a lot. I have a couple of other questions:

Given that I only have one "full" day at Munich, would you all recommend or see as realistic to see Dachau? How long will it take me to get there? It looks like public transportation can get me there relatively quick. Originally I was thinking about seeing Neuschwanstein castle but it looks like it would eat up most of the day to visit.

Any recommendations on where to eat in Munich for a reasonable price would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
157 posts

I am a bit of a techno-nut - one of my favorite museusms of all time is the Deutsches Museum. I could spend a lot of time there, but the underground mines, maritime and space floors are just too cool. It is Europe's answer to the Smithsonian.

Agreed with previous posters on Hofbräuhaus - well worth skipping. Elevator ride up Rathaus was great on a clear day. Viktualienmarkt well worth a vist too.

Vienna - inner ring great things to see, then head to some of the outskirts (Vienna Woods) for some interesting sights. Might just get a bit of spring coming out and go visit a Heurige.

Posted by
31 posts

In Munich, my family like climbing to the top of St. Peter's church. Great views and fun to climb. If you like art, the Alte Pinakothek is a must.

In Vienna, you must walk the pedestrian zone, see Stephansdom, get Zanoni's gelato, eat at Zum Bettlestudnt, see the Straus statue at Stadtpark, tour Schoenbrunn Palace and get standing tickets at the Opera House. If you have time, go to Prater Park and ride the ferris wheel and see Hunderwasserhaus. Ride the tram around the ring. Enjoy!

Posted by
38 posts

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm actually in Vienna as I write this and unfortunetely, it has been raining ALL day - not fun but what a beautiful city!. One more day and then on to Krakow, Prague, and Amsterdam!

I'm going to Aushwitz, any tips on what else to do in Krakow?

Posted by
37 posts

My husband and I spent several days in Krakow a couple of years ago. Auschwitz was by far the most moving and memorable part of our trip. It makes for a tiring day.Krakow is just a beautiful city to walk around. We would walk all through the park that rings the center of the city. We walked so far we actually found a mall (ha! not what I was looking for in Europe) I guess we walked REALLY far.See Wawel, the castle hill. Just walking around was spectacular, we didn't do any of the sites, but enjoyed just exploring.

We also spent a lot of time on the main square. We bought cotton candy, people watched, and enjoyed all the local artists and performers.

We also took a day trip to Wieliczka Salt Mine. Rick has a great explanation of the attraction on this site and in the guidebook The mines were spectacular and impressive. However, navigating the trip and waiting in line and such was a bit frusrtating..but worth it.

Have fun.

Posted by
12 posts

We were in Munich a couple weeks ago and went to the Hofbrauhaus- the food was not great but we did have a good time there- fun to people watch. Do NOT eat at the Augustiner, that was by far the worst food on our trip and very expensive. A visit to the Viktulian Market is great, we enjoyed the Residenz but it takes a while to get through, Dachau would take about 1/2 day so it depends on what else you want to accomplish.