Please sign in to post.

To tip or not to tip

Who do you tip in Western Europe? Do you tip B&B or hotel owner/staff? Taxi drivers? Restaurants?

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Doug,
In the mid 1970's when we were new to travels in Europe, someone advised us not to tip in France, pointing out that the bill states that "service is included". So we didn't tip. But we were remembered by the staff at restaurants on our second visits. Service was just as you might guess! We learned that, mostly, tips as large as we leave in the US are not expected in Europe, but if service has been satisfactory or better, then leaving a tip reflecting the level of service is IMHO appropriate. We hope you don't ever experience what we did and that you have a bon voyage! P

Posted by
506 posts

Doug -

Tipping practice in France has changed somewhat since the 1970s - and I believe that Rick's discussion will also state to check the bill itself. There can be times in restaurants (not so much in brasserie and cafe) that service tip can be expected. It is also common to leave a small tip if a waiter goes out of their way. An example, we had a group of 15 last night for dinner at Pizza Cesar (81, Boulevard St Marcel, 75013 ) - it is wonderful Italian. All food was delivered together - he spoke 4 different languages to us (Italian, French, German and English), food was excellent, wine was great, and we left a little something extra.

It is not a good idea to get rid of your coppers with a waiter - 1 & 5 centimes coins

Posted by
12 posts

Hello Doug,
I live in Paris (via San Diego) and the rule of thumb is this. If you're having a coffee or coke there is no real need to tip anything. Now, if the waiter/waitress is very accommodating and friendly in perhaps answering your questions by all means leave a little something. Two coffees in the center will cost you between 7-9 euro. If I leave a tip it would be 40-50 centimes. Now for service in a restaurant and cafe where you are eating. Again only if the service is exceptional would I leave a tip. My Parisian friends and I normally leave 5%-10% depending on the service. Never do the American thing of 15%-20%. And, always check your bill!!

Posted by
19240 posts

I have always heard that, in Europe, serving people are paid for their labor, it is not necessary to leave a tip. However, it is not nice to take the small change. Based on that information, if the bill were €9,30, for example, I would give the server a €10 note and say "Stimtt so" (that is correct). But if the bill were €9,70 (over 0,50), I would round it up and add €1, leave €11. A few years ago, I was staying in the Black Forest, with a German only speaking native German, and I told her my tiping policy. She was aghast, and told me I was leaving too much, that I should just round it up. If the bill was €9,90, and I left €10, that was correct. Now, if the bill is €10, I still leave €11, but I have learned from a native that even that is overly generous.