Please sign in to post.

Milan to Lake Como

1. Is a day trip to Lake Como from Milan worth it? (no overnight) My husband and I (we are 26, first-timers to Europe) are trying to figure out what to do with an extra day in our itinerary.

2. How much does the train ride cost? (round-trip) ... trenitalia website wont reveal price and we're trying to figure out Eurail passes/travel days.

Thanks for your help!!!

Posted by
213 posts

I don't know anything about the train, but I can tell since I flew into Milan (Malpensa) to go to Como that it's about 1 hr. by car (so I'm guessing it's less by train, so easy for a daytrip). We stayed in Como and I'd encourage you to visit! It's a small beautiful city. There's a tram to go to the top of the mountain overlooking the city (quickly done). There are boats from Como taking you to various locations along the lake including Bellagio (and you go past famous villas- George Clooney owns, the one in Star Wars where they got married, so it's a beautiful ride). There are several wonderful gardens you can visit, as well as great hiking trails into the mountains. You could easily come up on the train, take the boat out to a garden, then Bellagio (there's also a garden there), eat lunch in/near Bellagio (I ate at the cafe on the far side of the garden there and it was nice), come back on the boat, take the tram to the top of Como for sunset, and eat dinner in Como. Go!

Posted by
32330 posts

Christine,

It is possible to see Lake Como as a day trip frim Milan, but it would be much better to try and find an extra day so that you can spend a couple of days there.

As Kent mentioned, Varenna is a much better choice than Como. It's a beautiful small town and provides easy access to the Ferries for access to Bellagio, Mennaggio or other spots.

Again as mentioned, be sure to read the description in Rick's book on travel to Varenna. The train only stops for one minute, so be ready!

This is one location where I strongly agree with Rick - once you're there, you'll be tempted to throw your Itinerary in the lake! I can hardly wait to return!

One question though - are you spending any time in Milan? My preference would be less time in Milan and more time on Lago di Como.

Happy travels!

Posted by
34 posts

A day on Lake Como is definitely worth it.The city of Como is smaller, much nicer than Milan in general. If you want to go there,there are 2 trains.The local Nord line goes right to the waterfront from Cadorna Station in Milan & is cheaper,takes about 50 min. The Trenitalia line goes to San Giovanni Station from Sta.Centrale in Milan,which then requires a bus down into town.Fast ride,but then the bus or long walk.If I were to choose,I would spend the hour on the train to Varenna-midlake is so georgeous and serene!

Posted by
34 posts

Shouldn't this post be in "the Boot" section?

Posted by
19240 posts

There is a train, part of it is called the Malpensa Express (that part goes from Milan's Malpensa Airport to Milan's Cadorna station). At Saronna you can change trains to Como Lago. It take 1h21m and the fare is 8,10. The train goes right into downtown Como, about a block from the lake, and there must be boats from there to Verenna, but I don't know from where or the schedules. Go to www.lenord.it for train schedules.

Posted by
9 posts

thanks all for the tips. we're going to do it. i think we're going to try to hit up varenna.

sorry didnt realize there was a 'boot' section. ive only been in the 'west' helpboard so far.

ciao
:)