Please sign in to post.

Bruges...

We are interested in going to Bruges prior to Paris. What are some "must see" sights? Any suggestions for hotel?

Posted by
3313 posts

Bruges itself. Its easy to walk around the center and see just about everything. One special note: Bruges has one of the only, if not the only, Michaelangelo sculptures outside of Italy.

Posted by
3551 posts

stay at one of RS B&B's that is central no need for a hotel it just spoils the charm. everything is within walking distance, a great village to just walk and view.I hope to go back again it is like a fairy tale.

Posted by
1806 posts

I really liked the brewery tour at De Halve Maan. It didn't cost a lot to take the tour, if you are up for it they let you climb up to the roof of the brewery for a nice view of Bruges, at the end you get your choice of beer which you can drink inside their restaurant or outdoors in their beer garden.

The Basilica of the Holy Blood (supposed to be Jesus's blood in a vial) was interesting (and I'm not religious).

I also enjoyed walking down by the water and getting up close to the windmills (like going out to the countryside in Holland without actually having to leave the Belgian borders). And I came across an outdoor craft market great for unique handmade souvenirs. The canal boat tours are very popular. And a lot of people like to pop into the chocolate or lace shops to see the products being made.

Other than that, just walk around...eat some fries or mussels and look at the architecture and people. Bruges is one of the most relaxed cities in Europe.

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks, all, for your great suggestions. We can't wait to go!

Posted by
12040 posts

For a place to stay, I like Hotel Adornes (in Rick's book). It sits on a beautiful little stretch of canal, slightly off from the center of town. The best feature of the hotel is the free, unlimited 24/7 use of the hotel's bikes.

I also particularly enjoyed the Groenige museum. The collection of paintings is quite unique.

Posted by
102 posts

Beside the beauty and charm in Bruges

you will be in VERY HAPPY carb coma...

the beer, the waffles, the chocolate, the frites...

I climbed the bell tower two times..just to compensate for all I ate....

Posted by
9 posts

What are some "must see" sights?

Bruge. ;-)

Bruges is a wonderful little town...just walk around, marvel at the old-world charm, relax in the Grand Place, and take lots of pictures...

Enjoy.

Posted by
934 posts

I also liked the brewery tour.It was excellent.However the soup at there restaurant was the worst Ive ever eaten.Water with a little flavor.

Posted by
809 posts

I loved the Church of Our Lady - wonderful tombs of Charles the Bold and daughter Mary, and interesting grave paintings. And it's small enough that we could get right up close to see things. We also enjoyed a canal boat tour; the operator gave us the narrative in both French and English [to accommodate all his passengers] and did a great job. We were only there for part of a day; I look forward to going back some day and seeing the rest of the sights.

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks for the great suggestions. Here is another question: If we fly into Brussels, (jet lagged) is the train trip to Bruges do-able in the same day, or would you suggest a night in Brussels first. We will get in in the mid. a.m.

Posted by
42 posts

Very easy! Trains run from the Airport with a quick change in Brussels.The B&B we stayed in picked us up at the nearby train station.I would only stay a short time in Bruges and save time for Paris.

Posted by
2023 posts

We loved the churches, the market, museums, etc. Be sure to walk around the Beguinage near Minnewater Park. It is very peaceful and beautiful. We loved Bruges and hope to return one day. Enjoy!

Posted by
12040 posts

Also, the ornate Stadhuis is worth some of your time. Don't linger over the audioguide, it might be one of the most boring in all of Europe. Unless, of course, a detailed description of how the city commissioned and raised the funds for the decorative the artwork interests you...

Posted by
359 posts

It's the one place that I'd do a canal 'cruise'. Many, many times in Amsterdam and never tempted; did it in Bruges and much enjoyed. Small town, small boats, short 'cruise', worth the money IMO.