Please sign in to post.

Berner Oberland Regional Pass

I am planning a trip in the first week of April and would like to buy this pass. I was so excited to know about this pass and started planning everything only to realize this pass is valid only from May - October. Can someone confirm if this is true or can I get this pass even in April? Please let me know. Thanks a ton!

Posted by
6898 posts

I've never heard of a Berner Oberland Regional Pass. I don't see it on the Swiss train site and you don't go anywhere in the BO without the Swiss train/bus/gondola/boat system. So who offers it and what does it cover? I'd sure like to see what it's about.

Also, you may want to know that it's "shoulder season" in Berner Oberland villages in early April. Shoulder season is the transition to summer from winter and many places are closed for a few weeks. Contact your intended hotels to be sure they are open.

Posted by
6898 posts

Kalpana, I see it. Thanks. I've never seen this before. It seems to operate like a typical Swiss pass in that you get unlimited travel in much of the BO but when you go higher up, it's a 50% discount. For example, a Swiss pass will get you most anywhere in Switzerland and not just the BO. The Swiss pass covers all fares into Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Gimmelwald, Muerren and Wengen. However, if you go higher to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch above Wengen, it only covers 50%. Same for the top of the Shilthorn above Muerren. This regional pass seems to operate in exactly the same way only it's limited to the entire BO which is much larger than the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

As an option, you might look into the Swiss 1/2-fare card for 30 days. I don't see it online but it is available at the ticket windows. 99CHF ($91). We purchased and used them. You get 50% off on all tickets including the mountaintops.