Please sign in to post.

TGV reservations

If one is unsure of arrival time at a train station in France(to be determined by arrival time at FRA)how does one go about making reservations on the TGV for connecting train? Can they be made at the train station?? Can they be made at FRA??
USED to be one was just charged a supplement...!! thanks

Posted by
6898 posts

If you can't nail down your arrival time at the train station, you are left with showing up at the train station and buying your tickets there and then. What you can do before then is to look at the dates and schedules for where you want to go on www.voyages-sncf.com and print out those close to your desired departure. This will save time at the ticket window.

Also, the word "supplement" in you question sounds like some type of train pass. Do you have a train pass such as Eurail or other? If yes, this could change my response above as you could get to the train you want and pay the supplement.

Posted by
27 posts

yes, we DO have a 3 country Eurail Pass---What does THIS do for us?? thanks--melinda

Posted by
668 posts

Not sure what you mean by "what does this do for us?" The pass pays for your first or second class fare on the train, and enables you to jump on any train where there is room without the hassle of going to get a ticket. On TGV and other interctiy trains, you do need a "reservation" which confirms your seat and train, and costs extra. We always make ours as soon as we arive at our departure city, but I gather you are uncertain about your connections. We found trains were virtually always on time. Check the connections on the German Railway website and if they suggest a connection, you will make it, even if it seems absurdly short.

Iain

Posted by
27 posts

I DO understand what a rail pass "does for us"---just trying to get clarification on reservations on TGV--last time we "railed" Europe we just paid a supplement in the train so I guess that when we arrive at FRA we should go immediately to reserve seats on the appropriate train. Do you agree that that should be the plan?? thanks

Posted by
4555 posts

Yes...providing the train's not full. You could also go to RailEurope and make reservations there (at a higher cost) to ensure your places on a specific train.