Please sign in to post.

Ryan Air

Anybody use them recently for inter Europe flights? Or is there a better carrier? Frankfurt to Venice.

Posted by
19630 posts

Also from Frankfurt, Ryanair flys out of Frankfurt Hahn, which is nowhere near Frankfurt, but there are some bus connections from St Goar area. As far as Ryanair's flights from Hahn to Treviso, I have no idea.

Posted by
19052 posts

Make sure you understand everything about the connection before booking - like where "Frankfurt" Hahn is and what your options are for getting there. Ryan Air does not fly to Venice everyday, and then only one flight per day. Hahn is in the middle of nowhere with limited access by public transportation. Note that in addition to the ticket price, there is probably an unavoidable fee to check in.

Posted by
32505 posts

RyanAir doesn't go to Venice. From anywhere. They go to a lower grade airport much further away called Bergamo.

Posted by
473 posts

Yes they do ~ into Treviso which is just 12 miles outside of Venice

Posted by
32505 posts

yes, I panicked. As I was heading in to dinner I typed the other airport they go to in that area. 20 km from Mestre Treviso may be, but it is still a second rate airport. In fact I believe (may be wrong, my memory here) that Ryanair may be the only operator who go to Treviso. I note with interest that the ATVO bus leaves after every Ryanair flight, but takes 50 minutes to make that "short" journey. That's quite a bit longer than the bus to Marco Polo. More expensive, too. Others here like Ryanair. I don't use them on principle. YMMV.

Posted by
32171 posts

Alex, You'll likely get lots of comments on RyanAir, most which likely wont be positive. One reason they're able to offer cheaper flights us that they tend to use out-of-the-way airports which have lower costs. As I recall, they use HHN in Frankfurt and not FRA so you'll have to consider time and transportation costs to get there. The same will be true at the destination as you won't be arriving at VCE. I generally try to avoid RyanAir unless there's NO other option. Are you arriving at FRA on a flight from the U.S.? There may be an easier option? Happy travels!

Posted by
473 posts

Hi Ken~
Thank you. We are flying US to Frankfurt but then touring the Rhine and then want to get to Venice and just trying to figure out easiest/reasonable way to go. We were thinking about via Zurich for a night but that is expensive too.

Posted by
9363 posts

There is no "unavoidable fee" for checking in for a Ryanair flight! You do have to check in and print your boarding pass before going to the airport, but you have 30 days prior to your flight to do so. I just flew with them in August, and the flight was pleasant and arrived 10 minutes early to our destination. Ryanair and other budget carriers are good deals as long as you follow their rules.

Posted by
32171 posts

Alex, I'll try and provide a few suggestions in your other Thread about Zurich.

Posted by
11507 posts

Easyjet Tuifly AirBerlin
Vueling. Check those,, I have used Easyjet and Vueling a few times. and my ex hubby and children have flown Tuifly and AirBerlin

Posted by
19052 posts

"There is no "unavoidable fee" for checking in for a Ryanair flight!" Per the RyanAir website, 6.2 An online check-in fee applies to all reservations except in respect of certain promotional fares. This fee is charged on a per person/per one-way flight basis and amounts to €7/£7 for bookings made via www.ryanair.com and €14/£14 for bookings made via a call centre or at the airport. I'm not sure when the charge is in Euro and when it is in Pound, but, except for certain promotional fares, if you check in online, they charge you €7/£7 and if you check in at the airport of by phone, the charge you €7/£7 more. I see no way to avoid paying at least €7/£7. I assume "all reservations" mean reservation just for the flight, not for a specific seat, for which they also charge extra.

Posted by
9363 posts

Perhaps I wasn't assessed the fee because I had promotional fare? In looking at the website just now, the check-in fee is part of the taxes and fees which are fully disclosed before purchasing a ticket (in fact, they are part of the "front-page" total price of the ticket, not added later). In that sense, every airline might be said to charge a check-in fee, but they call it something else - or don't separate it from the price of a ticket. There is no way to know, since you don't know what determines the price. In any event, if you are charged it, it is clearly listed before you purchase your ticket - nothing underhanded.

Posted by
68 posts

Hi alex, I think that there are far better carriers to Ryanair. Have you tried www.easyjet.com they are really good and they dont have as many charges as Ryanair. You can also have a look on skyscanner.com to get a look at all the airlines that go from Frankfurt to Venice.