Please sign in to post.

Night trains

Hello everyone. I am planning a trip from Venice to Munich and then Munich to Amsterdam. I want to take a night train (for the experience) but do not want to miss great scenery by sleeping through it!. Does anyone have advice on which of these routes would be more picturesque? We are going in late September and plan on getting a sleeper cabin.

Posted by
20070 posts

By late September, do you mean this year? Its already late September and all the compartments are sold out on the Venice-Munich leg.

Posted by
12040 posts

Venice to Munich passes through the Alps, so you probably wouldn't want to miss that at night. Munich to Amsterdam certainly has some scenic points, but it also has long stretches of ho-hum. You wouldn't miss too much at night.

Posted by
32201 posts

April, If you want to enjoy the scenery, it might be better to take a day train. Venice to Munich is about a 7.5 hour trip with one change at Verona Porta Nuova, so it's relatively easy. Munich to Amsterdam is about the same time. Although you want the "experience" of a night train, it may not be a pleasant experience if you have multiple changes in the wee hours of the morning. You won't get much sleep and will arrive tired. Check the bahn.de website for the specifics of any trains you're considering. Happy travels!

Posted by
51 posts

Thanks everyone. I will be going September 2014. Looks like we will take a day train to Munich and the night train (which looks like its direct) to Amsterdam.

Posted by
4037 posts

www.seat61.com The encyclopedia to rail travel includes a section on night trains including videos.
Perhaps you can clarify what you mean about seeing scenery on a night train.

Posted by
32732 posts

You say you want to do it for the experience. Fine. Just be aware of what the experience will likely be like. You will see some people on here who do enjoy their night train experience and many more who don't. I personally have ridden dozens of night trains over the years because I had to and I have ridden my last one. I now like my sleep and prefer not to walk around the next morning like a zombie with a back ache. Do it for the experience but do it with your eyes open (see what I did there?).

Posted by
51 posts

Thanks again
I realize I won't see much scenery on a night train. I just wanted opinions on which route would be more scenic and better not to miss. I have slept on trains in the US before and on cargo planes in the military. I know some sleeping arrangements may not be comfortable so I will have to take a gamble there. Sleep is important to me so thanks for the warnings!