Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt Airport

I will be arriving at this airport and catching a train. I have seen a lot of reviews on how poorly set up this airport is, but they are all several years old. Some questions: (1) suggestions for catching a train, including finding an ATM mcahine; (2) anything interesting in the airport itself--i will have several hours. Thanks, John

Posted by
6590 posts

I don't think FRA is a bad place. It's quite large and enjoyable to wander around in.

There are 2 train stations - the Fernbahnhof (long-distance trains) and the Regionalbahnhof (regional and local) so visitors who don't know that can be perplexed.

Here's a map of the shops etc. there:
www.airportcity-frankfurt.de/cms/default/rubrik/20/20091.uebersichtsplan_shops_und_restaurants.htm

ATMs and bank services are available all over the place.

One of the McDonalds is adjacent to a bar/cafe where there's a superb view of the runways, if you just want to hang out somewhere.

The airport homepage will give you some good info too in English:

www.airportcity-frankfurt.com

Posted by
12172 posts

I wouldn't say it's a lovely airport but it is clearly marked and easy to navigate. You should have no problem finding an ATM in the airport or getting to the trains.

I can't remember anything interesting in the airport. If you are military, I think you can take a shuttle to the Air Force side for BX, commissary, etc.

Maybe others on this site know of something.

Posted by
479 posts

John, it's not an aesthetically pleasing place to be, but it gets the job done. When I was there a little over a year ago it was undergoing major construction. Your experience will differ depending on which airline you're flying and which terminal you're coming into.

As the first poster noted, the airport is extremely clearly marked. Just follow the signs to the train terminal. It's one of the most-used train terminals in all of Europe, so you won't have to worry about getting lost. You will get disoriented though, as you'll feel like you're twisting and turning around every corner.

Finding an ATM shouldn't be a problem either. Just keep your eye out. Banks want you to use the ATMs, so they don't exactly hide them. Just don't confuse them with the pay-per-use internet terminals. Those are harder to find.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks much all. I made my first two posts and received tremendously helpful info right away. This RS community is great! :)

Posted by
19052 posts

In Germany, an ATM is called a, "Geld Automat".

At the Frankfurt airport long distance train station (Fernbahnhof), there is a Geldautomat on the left hand side, just as you enter the station.

Posted by
8934 posts

This thread is 5 years old. Hope John found his way ok.