Please sign in to post.

Train to Versailles

We will be in Paris at the end of this month and are planning to visit Versailles while there. I have been to Paris once before (20 years ago) and feel comfortable using the Metro. I understand that we will need to get to the RER C line to Versailles Rive-Gauche. Not having traveled on the RER on my previous trip, I'm wanting to know if it operates similar to the metro? I'm aware that I will need to purchase a special ticket as the standard ticket that covers Paris won't cover this zone. Someone mentioned to me that they highly recommended buying my RER train ticket ahead of time as they might sell out. I thought this extremely odd and was planning on discounting their "advice" but then thought better of it and decided to solicit feedback from those on this forum. Do I really need to pre-purchase that round-trip ticket or can we just buy them when we get to Paris or on the day of travel to Versailles? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Posted by
10 posts

HA! Ed - I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum in anticipation of my trip and I have seen a lot of your comments (which frequently crack me up). I had hoped that you or one of the other veteran travelers would respond and pretty much figured it would be along those lines. Thanks for confirming that my initial reaction to their suggestion was spot on. :)

Posted by
11507 posts

Bethany, that friend that told you the RER tickets could sell out... please, listen to NOTHING else they tell you . They are uninformed and ignorant. Not kidding. You can purchase that ticket whenever you want, they are not dated , so purchase it day of travel or two or three days before because you just happen to be in metro and find a manned kiosk.. its a total non issue. They never sell out.. its a commuter train.

Posted by
32212 posts

Bethany, I agree with Ed - don't listen to fools! I made that trip in early July on a day when Versailles was EXTREMELY busy (the Louvre was closed that day, so everyone headed to Versailles). I had no problems buying a ticket on the day of travel. I was staying in the Rue Cler area, and just stopped at the ticket counter at Ecole Militaire when I was on my way to train. The ticket purchase took all of about a minute, and the ticket was valid for both the Metro and RER. The trip TO Versailles was "busy" but not excessively crowded, however the trip back FROM Versailles in the late afternoon was SRO, hot and miserable (one of those "memorable" travel experiences). As I recall, the train that you'll be looking for says "Vick" in the display above the driver's window. When you arrive in Versailles, just follow the "stampeding herd" out of the station and around the corner, and you'll see the Chateau in the distance. Are you planning to use a Paris Museum Pass for entrance to the Chateau? It will save some time, but depending on conditions at the time, there could still be a queue to enter the Chateau. No one can predict what conditions will be like during the time you're there, but I doubt that you'll have any problems. Happy travels!