Please sign in to post.

11 days in Spain

Hi all - I'm making my first trip to Spain in October (traveling solo) and I'm looking for suggestions on itineraries. I'm debating two options: A: Barcelona, San Sebastian, Madrid B: Madrid, Seville, Andalusia/Granada I don't want this trip to be rushed. I feel like the pace would be better for the Barcelona-Madrid route. Madrid-Andaluaia I think would be good for sites and the weather, but I might be trying to pack too much into 11 days. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on itineraries. Thanks!
Jim

Posted by
9110 posts

San Sebastian is a uniquely RS pick. It's okay, but probably on the lower tier of other cities in northern Spain. October in one of the highest rainfall months on the north coast so you'll be in constant to intermittent drizzel.

Posted by
3594 posts

S. Sebastian is not up there with any of the others as a first trip inclusion. If you do Barcelona and Madrid, you can round out your time with some day trips - - Segovia and Toledo from Madrid, several Costa Brava towns from Barcelona, or even stay a night in one or another of them. Andalucia deserves more time than you would be able to give it on this trip.

Posted by
4 posts

My wife and I will also be in Spain this October and I have put a large amount of time into deciding our itinerary. Barcelona looked too good to miss so we settled on towns in the Central to Northern portion of Spain. Barcelona (3 days) for its architecture, after that we are making a couple of stops in the French Pyrenees(4 days), then we are stopping for lunch and a tour of the Burgos Cathedral on our way to Segovia/Avila(2 days) then on to Toledo (2 days) and ending with 2 days in Madrid. We ruled out southern Spain because we will most likely get to go there on a business trip in the future. The bottom line is that Spain has an incredible amount of interesting and beautiful places to see and you really a few trips to visit them all. Have fun wherever you go, maybe we'll see you in our travels.

Posted by
23267 posts

Do be an book a return from Malaga to max your time. Into Madrid and home from Malaga. Southern Spain is very different from the rest of Europe because of the Moorish influence. And don't miss Cordoba on the way from Madrid. We did a rushed ten day of Madrid (3) Cordoba (1) Seville (3) and Granada (3) and home from Malaga.

Posted by
1878 posts

I would do B with six night in Madrid because of all the great day trips. Three full days in Madrid is a minimum, plus extra days for day trips.. Seville is fine with three nights, two nights for Granada. As one other person said, try and do a stop in Cordoba for La Meszquita.

Posted by
12172 posts

San Sebastian is a pretty place, but it needs to be enjoyed in the hottest summer months. I like Barcelona, it's worth a few days. I'm not a fan of Madrid, it's too new and bland for my taste. The Prado, however, is a great museum, worth at least a half day (more if you have it). I think you would be happiest focusing on Andalusia during your short stay. Catch an AVE train to Cordoba, see the Mesquita, and continue to Seville. From Seville I'd recommend renting a car and travel at your own pace ending in Granada, then head home. The bus is as good an option (and cheaper) back to Madrid as a train, probably the better option if you want to head to Barcelona - or you can catch a flight out of Granada's airport.

Posted by
1501 posts

Fly open jaw - into Barcelona, enjoy a few days of Architecture. You can get an inexpensive flight all the way to the South to Seville. From Seville you can bus (or rent a car and drive to Granada Do NOT Miss the Alhambra! I disagree with the poster re Madrid! To me, Madrid is ancient Spain! The Royal Palace is exquisite, (I understand than Louis IXV said to the King of
Spain, "your house is nicer than mine )!! and the Prado Museum has some of the best artwork in all of Europe. Also the Plazas at night in Madrid, especially Plaza Major with street musicians, and the Flamenco dancers is magical. From the South of Spain you can get by train into Madrid, and fly out of there. Spain is lovely, and you will have a wonderful time. Oh, make sure you see a REAL flamenco show while in Sevilla. Make sure it has a guitarist and not one of those "touristy" shows with a boom box. Your hotel will be able to arrange tickets. I've booked with "anamazinghotel.com" a travel agent who specializes in Spain, using small boutique hotels - and last time they got us incredible tickets for a Flamenco show and booked sweet hotels for us.

Posted by
1178 posts

B definitely. Really Discover Seville tours in Seville is excellent..Small groups and not large ones. Several different tours usually available. Also, they can book or direct you to an excellent Flamenco show. Granada - Alhambra...you MUST book tickets well in advance.