Please sign in to post.

iphone

I just purchased an iphone. We are traveling to Northern Spain in June and July. Does anyone have any experience with traveling with the iphone in spain. We were wondering if the AT and T internet access works on the map application in Spain as well as whether the phone will work.

Rick

Posted by
9420 posts

Hi Richard, I live in Corte Madera! I suggest you call AT&T and ask them. My son just got an iphone too, and we're wondering the same thing. We were planning to call and ask, closer to our trip this July. Have fun!

Posted by
505 posts

Greetings

I think you'd probably be wiser to leave the Iphone behind and buy something cheap to use over here. Firstly, the iphone isn't available in many European countries yet (I think they are in talks with a company in Spain) so it would probably mark you as a tourist, and be a target for theft.

Also, I think you'd be paying very high rates for phone or internet access in Europe because you are tied into AT&T and their affiliates.

You could probably buy a cheap GSM phone and get a Spanish simcard with pay as you go minutes, and the who deal would likely be cheaper than using a phone tied to AT&T.

Kate

Posted by
410 posts

My understanding is that unless the iphone is 'unlocked', you will not be able to use it with a spanish sim card, linked to a spanish provider.

That is what I have been told but have no personal experience.

AT & T are not one of the three major spanish providers - Orange,Vodaphone and Movistar but maybe it has affiliations with one of them?

Posted by
22 posts

We have purchased phones in several countries because contrary to promises they don't really work everywhere and it is a pain to get them "unlocked" from some character several blocks away. We now have two phones for France, one for Netherlands and one for Britain. When we arrive we get them 'topped up' and always leave with a few minutes remaining. They are not expensive. We have one Orange and 3 Vodaphones. I also once rented a phone here that was shipped to me before I left, all charged up. We got to the Paris airport and weren't met. My husband thought it was ridiculous to have rented the phone so he said, get it out and call him. So I called our driver immediately and no problem, he was walking in from the parking lot! End of remarks about lugging the phone and charger, it was big and clunky. Maybe they use smaller ones now.
I would not take the iphone.

Posted by
712 posts

Ran into a lady with an I-phone in Rome. It was her second trip to Italy with it in 2 months. She said the first time she used it as she did at home in California and the her bill was over a $1000 for her usage overseas. This trip she said she had learned a lesson and was just using it for emergency phone calls and to take pictures. She showed me her pictures. I guess that means you probably don't want to used it for surfing the web, IM, and what ever else people do with i-phones or you might land up with a huge bill when you get home.

Posted by
32201 posts

Rick,

You NEED to contact AT&T to determine the precise rates for both voice calls and data usage. There was one post here not too long ago regarding one individual that happily surfed his way across Europe with his I-Phone, and found a $3000 bill waiting for him when he got home! AT&T may have a data plan, but you will need to confirm this. The rates probably won't vary whether you're travelling in Spain or other western European countries (however, roaming costs ARE much higher in Russia and eastern countries).

Contrary to the previous poster that purchased several Phones for use in different Euro countries, I use only one quad-band GSM Phone with roaming from my home network (Rogers) and have never had any difficulties in any country. I use text/SMS to keep in touch with family back home and use voice calls sparingly. I've found with this approach the cost is fairly predictable and reasonable, and I know "up front" what the charges will be.

Happy travels!

Posted by
769 posts

Ive used my Cingular/-now-ATT phine europe for the past few trips and it almost always worked (better than at home sometimes). its a RAZR but the GSM that matters. Picks up local carriers. For those that dont know - the IPHONE is also a wireless device - so when yorue at a hotel with free wireless - you can do your surfing there on the network - not using min. THAT would be a smart "savvy" use. As a camera and when needed quick text or phone calls - its a great idea. I just accept that i will have a 100$ phone bill extra when i get home after spending 1$ for over seas calls - but then i dont like having to hunt aroudn for cards/sims etc. For twice a year its fine. If you go more often - then buy one there. Bust just watch the "on-net" surfing as other say... save it for necessity or just do it at the hotel/cafes with free wireless!

My vote is take it but use it smartly!

Posted by
61 posts

I am also with Cingular/ATT and have used my phone (not an iphone) on my last two trips (Italy, China - mainland and Hong Kong). Before I left, I called ATT and had the international roaming plan activited. The small monthly charge for the plan lowered the per minute charges and maybe also the data package charges as well. (don't remember) The signals were fantastic. I used it sparingly, but it made quick calls home much easier than any other method I had tried. I was in a situation in both cases, where I needed to be able to be reached without a problem. I used the email feature on the phone in China and it worked very well.

I also took a phone with an Italian SIM card with me on the Italy trip so that I would have a local number. I had students with me and needed them to be able to reach me easily. It worked well for that purpose and for making local calls. The phone and SIM card were purchased through telestial.com - chosen, after much research, as the best for our needs