Please sign in to post.

driving in Portugal

I keep reading in guidebooks that Portuguese drivers are fast, aggressive and scary and I am intimidated about driving there. But it makes sense for my 11 day trip in June to pick up a car on the way out of Lisbon and drop it off in Oporto, using the car to visit Coimbra, the Duoro Valley and points in between. Am I right to be nervous about this or should I just jump in and rent the car? Thanks

Posted by
10344 posts

The Rough Guide to Greece (p. 48) says Portugal has an even worse auto accident rate than Greece, in fact the worst rate in the entire EU. Here's what Rick says in "Portugal 2005" (p. 20): "Portugal, statistically one of Europe's most dangerous places to drive, has lots of ambulances on the road. Drive defensively. If you're involved in an accident, expect a monumental headache -- you will be blamed. Expect to be stopped for a routine check by the police. Small towns come with speed traps and corruption. Tickets, especially for foreigners, are issued and paid for on the spot insist on a receipt so the money is less likely to end up in the cop's pocket." I have never driven there.

Posted by
3551 posts

I was in Portugal on your route in 2006. Driving was no prob. in general. But Porto, and Lisbon can be a little hairy as you would expect any city. I think the italian drivers are scary but not the portuguese. Rent and have fun its no big deal really.
Coimbra and espec Douro are easy.