Please sign in to post.

car or train in Spain

My beau and I are traveling to Spain, June 25th to July 10th. We are arriving in Madrid then making our way to Valencia, Granada, Ronda, Seville and taking day trips to Gibraltor and possibly going to Tangier. We will do some hiking and rock climbing East of Granada, too. I was in Spain 5 years ago and rented a car from Salamanca and drove to Portugal. We had no problem, is this the case in Spain too? What would be better for us, renting a car or taking the train everywhere. Thank you in advance

Posted by
1178 posts

I would recommend the train...ease of travel, and I think one goes to the places you mention. You can get discount tickets on line up to 40 days before departure.

Posted by
984 posts

'What would be better for us, renting a car or taking the train everywhere.'
If all you want is on your wish list, I see little reason for car rental. The car is a burden, almost certainly standing idle in Valencia, Granada, Ronda, Seville, costing extra in parking/overnight fees, when you will be walking or at most taking local transport. However, you cannot train to Gibraltar (or La Linea, the Spanish border) as a day trip from Ronda or Seville without taking the train to Algeciras, local bus to La Linea and walk across the border and reverse. To my mind, might be a long day for the value, but you may think differently, even in the car (and if you do go, park the Spanish side and walk).

Posted by
931 posts

Spain is just as easy to drive in as Portugal, but some of the major East West roads on not on the GPS. But the maps do fine, and you can navigate from town to town. We picked up our car after we left Grenada, and used it to travel and explore the areas around Cordoba (we found free parking), Seville ($19/day parking, day trips to Jerez, Arcos, etc), Terifa ( free parking, great to be able to drive to Gibraltar. Take the fantastic cab tours of the Rock), Ronda (our favorite! with free parking at our awesome hotel.day trips to caves, hill towns, etc.) The car gave us the freedom to explore all of the areas surrounding the towns. Make sure that your bring your drivers license and International Drivers' permit (that you buy at your local AAA office....NOT on-line.)

Posted by
1527 posts

Last October we spent two weeks in Spain and used the train and rented a car. We did not find the car to be a hassle and enjoyed the freedom of controlling our movements. Be sure and get the International License form AAA.

Posted by
9110 posts

I drive everywhere, but I pretty much agree with Neil in your case. Two observation: The drive to Valencia is going to put you to sleep. The rock climbing places I'm aware of are at Alfacar and strung out along the east side of the A44. Those might require a car.