Please sign in to post.

France

I have three days to travel from Paris to Normandy. On arrival in Paris I am renting a car. I would like to go east to Reims then to the coast to Mont St Michael thru the Loire Valley. Has anyone taken a similiar route? Is this enough time and what suggestions does anyone have for sightseeing and accomodations.

Posted by
8 posts

Just before 9/11, my daughter and I traveled from Paris through Normandy, stayed in Mont St. Michael and then on to the Loire Valley. We took a train to Caen and rented a car there. Driving in/near Paris is not fun. I checked with a tour guide via phone at Rick's base office in Edmonds and she suggested that travel pattern and it really worked. I had no trouble driving from Caen to the Loire Valley and then we just took a train back to Paris. Rick's guides are a great resource for picking what to see - I think we stayed two nights in Normandy and one night at Mont St. Michel. then drove on to the Loire Valley. The three nights in the Normandy/Mont St. Michel were adequate.

We stayed inside Mont St. Michel (suggested in Rick's guide books and wonderful advice), for Normandy we stayed right on the northern most beach. The museum was a highlight of the trip, the drive along the beaches, cemeteries stays with me still, and the tapestry at Bayeux was fun.

Hope that helps.
Jud

Posted by
12040 posts

I think you should check the map. Reims lies a few hours east of Paris, and the Loire Valley is several hours south of Paris by car, even farther from Normandy. Three days is probably sufficient to drive from Paris to the Loire, explore a little bit, then drive to Normandy, but more time would be ideal.

I second the suggestion to stay on Mont St. Michel. Day-trippers from Paris choke the narrow lanes during the day, but the island gains a magical serenity at night when most have left. Plus, you can avoid the long lines by visiting the abbey first thing in the morning, before the tour buses arrive.

Posted by
591 posts

You wouldn't have enough time if you went to Reims first (it's East, not West), so I'd suggest just doing the Loire Valley, Mont St Michel and the Normandy coast. The previous post which suggested taking a train to a city beyond Paris is a very good idea. You could take a train to Tours or Orleans and then rent the car. You would want to have at least a full day visiting some chateaux, another day for Mont St Michel, and another day for the Normandy coast. Caen is a good choice for a place to return the car as there's good train service from there back to Paris.

Posted by
1443 posts

Ward,

I've done almost exactly what you are planning (except Reims) and have to concur that renting a car IN Paris is a really bad idea. It was a nightmare for us. We are doing a portion of this again on our trip this may - spending 1 night in Chenanceaux and the next night on Mont St Michel. We are returning our car in Rennes before heading into Paris on the train.

If you rent a car through AutoEurope there is no drop fee for renting a car at one location and dropping it in another as long as both pick up and drop off are both in France.