Please sign in to post.

Dolomites in May?

Are the Dolomites hikeable in May? Our two weeks in Italy has tentatively planned for the 23-25 in the Alpi di Siusi. Will it be too cool? I read that some lifts don't open until June. Thanks to the knowledgeable.
Margaret

Posted by
850 posts

Margaret, we were in the Dolomites in May 2007 and it is true most lifts are closed but don't let that discourage you. It does help to have a car. We saw hikers in the Alpi di Siusi and other places as we drove the Great Dolomite Road. It was one of the best parts of our trip. Rooms are easy to find on a spur of the moment because it is a slow time for the Dolomites. Some places may be closed but there are still plenty that are open. We spent one night at the Alpi di Siusi at the Alpenhotel which was a little over 6,000 feet. It was not too cool and we were there around the 20th of May. Of course the poetential for cold weather is always present in the mountains.
The musem in Bolzano which houses Otzi the Ice man is worth a visit. You can view some of our photos of the Dolomites at the following link. Best viewed by clicking on the slide show feature.
http://picasaweb.google.com/laneandsandy/ItalianDolomites/photo#s5080452995539849394
Sounds like a great trip. Have fun.

Posted by
2961 posts

Hi Margaret,
We've been to the Dolomites twice in October and once (2005) in late April/early May. The temperatures should be ok for walking/hikng. While we were there in April/May it was chilly at night yet we did experience some mild days, one or two as I remeber where warmer than I expected, in the mid 70's. A lot of lifts open in June, but you can find places to walk and hike in the Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm and surrounding area. Actually, while going over the passes in the area (Gardena and Sella) there were parking lots and places to pull over and park which led to trails into the Dolomites. I specifically remember one such spot (parking lot) on the Sella Pass. It was actually a lot for a chair lift but many people were walking the trails into the mountains. These are not far from the Alpe di Siusi. They begin in Selva Val Gardena. Gorgeous scenery all around the Dolomites!

Paul

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Margaret - The Dolomites are great all year round as long as you appreciate they are quite high level mountains. It is quite cool in May but the summer always depends on how good their winter is and this year there is a lot of snow. Most lifts don't open until at least the 1st June with others opening in July. The major Lifts are all open at the start of June.

I have just spent a week in Arabba with Collett's Mountain Holidays skiing and snowshoeing. They also operate in the summer and I think they start towards the end of May. see www.colletts.co.uk or give them a call - they are very knowledgeable.
Best, Thomas

Posted by
12040 posts

I never specifically been to the Dolomites, but I've hiked other stretches of the Alps at that time. The temperatures should be relatively comfortable at hikable elevations. However, with the continuing spring snow melt-off, the Alps can be quite muddy, with frequent rain. Staying dry will be more difficult than staying warm- the act of hiking itself will keep you warm enough.