Please sign in to post.

luggage on trains

We are 2 people traveling on the train one way from Paris to Koln.
We are traveling in 2nd class.
We have two large suitcases and two small ones.
Is there enought room on the train to accomodate our luggage? Are there any restrictions?
Thank you

Posted by
111 posts

I'm pretty sure there will be space on the train. Just try to be the first few to board the train. You'll be able to load your large baggage on the bottom and then easily retrieve when getting off.

Posted by
6898 posts

Michelle, not to worry. There is ample room on the trains for luggage. All trains have luggage racks overhead. The only difficulty you may have is having enough strength to left them up there and bringing them down. Our 26" rollers fit just fine. On the Eurostars and EuroCity trains, the seats face each other. Your seat is back-to-back with the seat behind you. In between the seats, you can easily place a 22" bag sideways. Lastly, on many trains, there are luggage stands at the ends of the cars but you need to make sure that you can watch your luggage.

Now the fun parts: 1) getting on the train. The 3 stairs are steep, the entry way is narrow and a lot of people want to get on. Not to worry. You'll make it. 2) changing platforms for connecting trains. 25 stairs down, 25 stairs up. Many, many train stations do not have elevators so you have to take the stairs. Again, you'll make it. We're seniors and we did OK.

Posted by
1806 posts

Buy a retractable cable lock if you want extra peace of mind. I've taken a lot of crowded trains around Europe and frequently had to stick my bag on the luggage rack located outside the door in the area between the two train cars (where you can't keep an eye on it). Or, at least carry a piece of twine or use a luggage strap and tie the bags to the rack - thieves don't want to be bothered hacking through a cable or cutting twine - they'll grab another unsecured bag and just go.

Check the rail line's website for restrictions - not sure how large your suitcases are. They always seem pretty lenient about luggage on the trains, so 2 pieces per person doesn't sound excessive - it just sounds like a hassle dragging all that luggage through Europe.

Posted by
852 posts

Michelle,
As respects baggage, Rick Steves offers a lot of really good recommendations. One of them is to pack your intended bags and go walk around downtown (Kelowna, B.C.). You may decide on two small suitcases each, instead. But if you happen to be Schwarzenegger clones, you are probably OK for the trip.
Bon voyage / Gute Reise, usw.... P.

Posted by
25 posts

Hi Michelle,

Four of us took 2-24" and 2-22" bags with us (plus 2 purses and 2 small backpacks) with us on a TGV in May.

We had luggage racks above our heads, plus the luggage "closet" at the end of our carriage.

We were able to put our bags above us easily; not sure how big your bags are, but if they don't fit there, they will fit at the end of the carriage.

I second the recommendation to take cable ties or something that locks with you, in case you do need to use the luggage closet. You can't alway see who is back there, and it's right by the door so by the time you notice something suspicious, it could be too late.

I'm a newly converted light packer, and if I can do it, anyone can. See what you can leave at home - it really is freeing... especially when you have to drag those same suitcases up and down the stairs at each station. No elevators where we were!

Bon voyage!

Posted by
4 posts

Travel lite. I've made several trips to Europe, starting as a student backpacking with a huge pack and have steadily gone lighter. Follow Rick's packing guidelines. The trains have lots of space for luggage but for large pieces (like my first backpack) storage is located just as you board the train so you either have to pack along a cable lock or situate yourself where you can keep an eye on it as people board/exit. I'm going again in May for a few weeks with my sister (her second time to Europe) and I made her buy one of Rick's backpacks, that and her Timbuk2 bag is all that I'm letting her use (well...and the moneybelt, I'm not that mean :) Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
510 posts

My rule of thumb is that I never take a suitcase or bag that I cannot lift over my head. I am not kidding, if I can't lift it over my head then I will have trouble getting it into the overhead on the plane and onto the racks in the trains.

Posted by
712 posts

Try packing light as suggested. I'd suggest one suitcase and a carry on bag that you can attach to your suitcase, have wheels on your suitcase and roll the both when you can. The very first time I went to Europe I traveled like you are planning. I didn't use all the stuff I had packed. Follow the suggestions people are giving you. You can always stop a store to buy what you are missing and need. Our last trip in Sept. I started packing the week before and then kept eliminating things. My husband was suprised I had packed so light.