Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets - Germany

How early do the Christmas markets open in Germany? Particularly in Munich and Nuernberg? I'd like to travel the last week of November (my Thanksgiving break) but am worried the markets aren't open until Dec 1.

Posted by
102 posts

The markets open on the week before the first Sunday of Advent. They will be open if you are there the last week of November this year.

Posted by
2700 posts

Some markets open earlier than others, so you should be able to plan a route that lets you visit some of the markets. We went the day after Thanksgiving last year - arrived Saturday, November 24. We flew into Munich and went directly to Salzburg, since it is one of the first to open. I believe there are others in Austria that are open in November, but we didn't see them. After three days in Salzburg, we went to Regensburg and stayed two nights. The market opened the day we left. The town was beautifully decorated, and it was fun to see them setting up the markets. We didn't feel like we had to visit a market every day. The towns were quite Christmasy without them.

Posted by
6 posts

Alexandra, If you are there the last weekend of November, the markets will be open. There's quite an energy at the opening week of the markets, so you will be there at the best time. If you have a chance, check out the market in Ulm, it is quite festive with a living nativity and delicious holiday foods. Nuremburg, of course, is the main market. You will find your way around just fine when you're there...the variety of food, handicrafts, and beautiful handmade goods is just mind boggling. 2 quick things you might want to note when in Nuremburg...there is a potato pancake stand just to the right of the large Christmas pyramid (Weihnachtspyramide) as you face it from inside the square that is marvelous. Also, the toy museum is just a short skip from the main square and it's awesome. Munichs market is large and spread out throughout the Marianplatz...it's nice, just not unique. Heidelberg is a beautiful city, but their market seemed to be selling primarily imposted trinkets. Whatever destination you choose, you'll have a ball...especially at the time of year when Germany really shines. Have fun!

Posted by
481 posts

Thanks for all the responses! I've toured the Christmas markets before but we always went in the middle of December. My vacation schedule doesn't allow that this year, but I have the entire week of Thanksgiving off and can even take a couple of days into December. While the Nuernberg market is supposed to be the biggest, it's always SO crowded. I may actually skip that this year. I like the suggestion of going to Salzburg first if it's open earlier. Love Salzburg and the market there is unique. Munich is nice and last time I went we took the train to the Schwabbing area of Munich where they had a lovely artists' Christmas market. After a while it seems the markets typically carry a lot of the same stuff. I'd like to see something different. I'll check into Ulm.

Posted by
8934 posts

The markets opened late last year, due to a holiday that last weekend in Nov. This year, they open around Thanksgiving again. Small markets may just be open one weekend and offer a lovely, different atmosphere than the large ones. My favorite markets this year were in Esslingen and in Stuttgart. Esslingen has a large, medieval market making it very unique and fun. Plus the setting, with lots of fachwerk buildings, added to the atmosphere. Once dusk arrived, torches and lanterns were lit. The people running the stands were so friendly, amusing & playful. Stuttgart doesn't get a lot of attentions, but I have to say, this city knows how to put on a market. It is spread out, so you never get that claustrophobic feeling like you would in other big markets. Very beautiful decorations, ice skating rink, and some unusual foods. Goose bratwursts and salmon cooked on planks before a fire might be some tasty treats. Munich didn't impress me at all, nothing special here. Husband went to Nuremburg and said never again, it was so packed you couldn't even move.