Please sign in to post.

10 days in Switzerland

My husband and I are planning a 10 days trip to Switzerland in early April. We'll be accompanied by our 1.5 yr old son, thus keeping in mind a few restraints, would love if someone could suggest an itinerary. We would love to explore a few scenic villages/sites and wouldn't mind trying a farm stay or something on those lines.

Posted by
32198 posts

aprajita, With only a very short 10 days, I'd suggest keeping your trip to a somewhat limited area, to reduce transportation times and changing hotels. Using return flights to and from Zürich should work well. You could for example, start by spending a few days in Lucerne. It's a beautiful city and there's lots to see there - visit the incredible Museum of Transport, take a day trip to Mt. Pilatus, perhaps a cruise on the lake and see the famous "Lion of Lucerne". From there travel by train to the Berner Oberland (just outside of Interlaken). That provides the quintessential Swiss scenery, with beautiful mountains, hiking, small, picturesque towns, etc. You could stay in Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Wengen, Grindelwald or even Gimmelwald (it's very small, so a larger town might be better with a 1.5 year old). While there you could hike (the walk down from Allmend-Hubel to Mürren is very easy), take a trip to the famous Schilthorn (somewhat expensive) or the Jungfraujoch (really expensive). One point to mention about the Berner Oberland is that not all hotels and other facilities may be open in early April. I'd have to spend some time looking at that. That's somewhat of an "interim time" between ski season and the summer tourist season. There are lots of possibilities in Switzerland, but with only 10-days you'll only be able to get a small sample. Happy travels!

Posted by
12040 posts

Early April IS NOT a good time for the Berner Oberland. In fact, it's probably the single worst time to visit.

Posted by
17 posts

I agree..April won't be a good month to visit. I just did 10 days in Switzerland, but it was in August, so the weather was pretty nice except few rainy/stormy days.
If you still want some suggestions for your itinerary, let me know~ ;)

Posted by
8125 posts

If you're traveling with a young child, you might consider staying in just one or two places and take day trips by rental car. If you can go 2-3 weeks later, your weather might be much better in the Alps, and you won't have to worry about Spring snow storms. I usually tour Austria (closeby) instead of Switzerland, and have seen some glorious scenery in late April. If weather's bad, I'll stay in Munich or Salzburg. I must warn you that area mountain farmers keep livestock, and they're spreading manure on their fields as soon as it thaws. This happens all over Europe in the month of April, and touring the countryside can be unpleasant for "city slickers."

Posted by
12040 posts

"I must warn you that area mountain farmers keep livestock, and they're spreading manure on their fields as soon as it thaws. This happens all over Europe in the month of April, and touring the countryside can be unpleasant for "city slickers." He's not kidding. I've seen them spread liquified manure through a power hose. The smell stuck with me for the rest of the day.

Posted by
32709 posts

"I must warn you that area mountain farmers keep livestock, and they're spreading manure on their fields as soon as it thaws. This happens all over Europe in the month of April, and touring the countryside can be unpleasant for "city slickers." Its not just in Europe - it happens here in England, too.

Posted by
14 posts

Perhaps the weather might be better around Lake Geneva. We spent 10 days in Montreaux/Vevey (Castle Chillon) and Gryon/Villiers (hiking). There are also several medieval towns on either side of the lake (Swiss and French sides)that are connected by ferries. You could also go into Italy near Lake Maggiore. The train can be expensive and a car can be comparable cost. The train station is adjacent to the airport. We stayed at a hostel in the alps that had tremendous views. They have private rooms too.