Please sign in to post.

10 days in Spain

We fly into Madrid in Sep and intend to commence with 4 nights in Madrid, including a day trip by train to Toledo. Any other suggestions- we propose to travel by train and bus or is a car necessary. Barcelona will most likely be point of departure.
Thanks in anticipation. Ecca- Australia

Posted by
23178 posts

For those locations the train is ideal but the bus system in Spain is excellent and cheaper. Might consider Segovia as a day trip.

Posted by
1178 posts

I would spend at least one night in Toledo. A beautiful city with many interesting things to see and do.

Posted by
524 posts

Eric The Help Line is a great resource once we have more information. What do you like to do? Are you foodies, museum goers, art lover, outdoors people, wine connoisseur, etc. Would you like to stay in the larger cities or do you love the smaller towns and the countryside? I suggest you do some of both. Does the 10 days include your 1st day from US to Spain? And your last day Departure? This makes a big difference in how many destinations you can comfortably visit? Be happy to help so this trip is about you and not a generic traveler! Bobbie

Posted by
16028 posts

Eric, what kind of trip interests you? Culture and art? History? Moorish architecture? Great food and wine? Outdoor adventure? All of the above? My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks in Spain, starting in Barcelona and ending in Madrid, visiting Toledo (2 nights there), Sevilla (2 nights) Granada (3 nights) and Cordoba (1 night) in between. We are in the "all of the above" category and our expectations were not only met but exceeded. We traveled entirely by train and it was perfect. The Spanish train system is wonderful (and I'm used to Switzerland so this is saying a lot). If you purchase your tickets in advance on the Renfe website and get the Web discounts (60% off) the train is also very reasonable priced. Of course you could not visit all of these places in 10 days, but you could easily visit Madrid (3 nights), Toledo (one night, I agree with HJ), 3 nights in Sevilla/Cordoba OR Granada, and 3 nights in Barcelona. If you are interested in seeing the Alhambra, then Granada would be the natural choice. However, it is a bit out of the way, and not on the high-speed train route. The regular trains go to Granada from Madrid, but to get from there to Barcelona is difficult unless you fly. The budget airlines make this very doable. If on the other hand you choose Sevilla and/or Cordoba, these are a short ride from Madrid by high-speeed AVE train. And the train between Madrid and Barcelona takes only 3 hours.

Posted by
2299 posts

I second staying in Toledo. Segovia is another great day trip (stay for dinner, have suckling pig). You didn't mention how long your total trip is, but I'd recommend at least 2 days in Barcelona at the departure end of the trip. High speed rail between Madrid and Barcelona is a snap (and only 3 hours).

Posted by
12172 posts

Maybe a little out of range for 4 nights but Pamplona does a little San Fermin festival in September. It includes parades with the giant "puppets" (can't think of what they call them) but not the running of the bulls. I don't know the exact date.

Posted by
18 posts

Just back from 2 1/2 weeks in Spain and Portugal. Stayed in Madrid 6 nights (3 at the beginning of the trip, 3 at the end of the trip), Douro Valley 3 nights, Granada 2 nights, Nerja 3 nights and Barcelona 3 nights. Used rental cars in Portugal and along the South Coast. Took advantage of the very cheap flights for long-distance travel as it was cheaper and faster than the train. If you plan to connect thru Madrid, I'd recommend a 2hr layover between flights. I discovered that the Madrid airrport, for whatever reason, is prone to delays early in the morning. It takes quite awhile to taxi from the runway to the terminals, too. Stayed at the Hotel Europa in Madrid, Posada Solar de Rede in Portugal, Hotel Anacapri in Granada, Hostal Marissal in Nerja & Hotel Reding in Barcelona. All were excellent and I can provide more info on the hotels and/or the cities if interested. Stephen

Posted by
182 posts

spent ten nights last march in spain. granada with the alhambra probably the highlight. toledo was nice but overrun with tour buses during 10 to 5. i loved barcelona the most. i know not really true spain, but very loveable. the architecture from gaudi is crazy. the people relaxed and friendly, and the food even better. the ave can get you from madrid to barcelona in 3 hours. overnight train from barcelona to granada. ave from granada to madrid, then back to toledo. awesome trip. have fun, be safe.