Please sign in to post.

1 day in amsterdam

We arrive sat. afternoon prior to leaving sun night for a river cruise. We are staying in the movenpik. Please give us some suggestions for restaurants that are moderate priced for b'fst in that area and other restaurants for dinner.
Would you recommend St. Nicolaas boat tour instead of a hop on canal tour?
thanks,
janines

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would prefer a more specific name of restaurant. Pancake Bakery was on my list, also de Bakkerwinel for b'fst and lunch. I'm not sure how far away it is from the hotel, but we will be out and about early on Sunday to see what we can. Cafe Loetji was a steak house recommendation. De Reiger, Blanuu aan de Wal,t aepjen were other dutch choices.
St Nicolaas is a volunteer group that goes out near Boom Chicago in open boats for a 90 min trip. Work for tips.
thanks,
janines

Posted by
34 posts

I can't really help you with breakfast, but there are a lot of good dinner options in the Leidseplein (spelling?) area. I had some of the best thai food there.

Posted by
12040 posts

Yes, many restaurants around Leidseplein. A lot of South American steakhouses, Indonesian, and even a few Dutch eateries(go figure, in Amsterdam of all places!).

Posted by
9110 posts

For closer in, walk Nieuwendijk Street (parallel to and one block NW of Damrak (the main drag)). It's full of places for supper. I'm a dud on breakfast.

I've never heard of St Nicolass, but am a freak for any kind of harbor/canal tour. I think they all follow pretty much the same track, so I'd go with whatever is convenient. I've done it in Amsterdam a couple of times and it ranks right up there with Copenhagen and Cardiff.

Posted by
655 posts

Janine, perhaps your rate at the Movenpik includes the breakfast? The hotel is on the water but not very handy to run out for breakfast. Better to plan on a stop enroute somehwere.

The metro is easy to use - you can buy a ticket from the driver. You can catch it at the central train station which is not far from your hotel.

I don't know about St. Nicolaas but one of the boat tours is a very good idea. It will make you wish you have more time in Amsterdam.

Posted by
64 posts

Breakfast in Amsterdam can be the best meal of the day!
Look for pannekoeken, the local specialty not to be missed. While there is no shortage of restaurants, you might want to check Rick's latest Amsterdam book for specific suggestions/neighborhoods.