Please sign in to post.

Your Favorite Place to stay in London? Possible for under $250/night?

Hi all,

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Europe this July, to include 3 nights in London. I was wondering if you all could share your favorite lodging experiences and favorite sections of London to stay in? Places to avoid?

My fiance and I would love to be quite close to pubs, coffee shops, restaurants, etc... we will be out and about quite a bit. Some of our requirements are places with AC, and hopefully under $250/night (if this is possible?). A historic building with charm would be fabulous as well!

Any suggestions/recommendations you have on places & areas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Posted by
208 posts

I would check with a travel agent and look into B&B's. There are a ton - however, I don't know if you'll find AC or not. We go in the winter - not an issue!
Good Luck!

Posted by
23267 posts

For a honeymoon -- I don't know. We were in the Intercontinental this past September. Very elegant, every nice, and probably our favorite. BUT it was over $600/night and we were not paying for it. When we have to pay, it is the Lime Tree in the Victoria station area and the Winchester when the Lime Tree is full -- which it often is. Both would be in your price range with the Lime Tree higher. Great location for transportation, across from the Apollo Theater (Wicked). Lime Tree has more charm than the Winchester but both are very nice.

Posted by
95 posts

We stayed at the London Elizabeth hotel in Paddington area once. I looked on the website and they have a dollars for pounds deal that makes a suite $150 a night instead of 150pounds a night - a pretty spectacular deal considering the exchange rate. The hotel was okay, but keep in mind that I am not a picky traveller. It was March when I went so I don't know about the aircon.

Posted by
2775 posts

Hi, The London Elizabeth Hotel is in the Bayswater area, great location. A minute walk to the Lancaster Gate tube staton and across the street from Hyde Park. The hotel does not offer that special rate $1=1British Pound (that was mentioned in the above post) in July. It was for January and February. It is a nice hotel, you would enjoy it there.

Posted by
97 posts

hi julene,

hopefully by now you have found something that suits you! but just in cast you need another hotel....our favorite is The Langorf Hotel and we will be staying there for a few days at the end of July. They are on Frognall St (don't you love English names) and we will in one of their few flats. Mostly they are a b and b and the breakfasts are always great!

You can bring them up by just inputting their name as I recall. They are located just off Finchley road in Hampstead (our old neighborhood.) Hampstead Heath is just a few blocks away and is lovely for people watching, Finchley is shops, restaurants,grocery stores etc and not nearly as swarming with tourists as Victoria. Get an oyster card and get out on the buses for your sight seeing...it is great!

my best to both,

Mollie

Posted by
3428 posts

We love to stay at the Thistle Hotel in Victoria Station. It might be above your cost range- but check it out- they often have special packages and deals. It is so convient for eating at great places and the Tube and Train station are RIGHT THERE! It is in a historic building and has most (not all) rooms with AC. There is a Starbucks (if you insist) very close. Good pub across the street- The Shakespear, good Italian, etc. And because of the Tube you can get to anywhere easily.

Posted by
25 posts

Wow, these are all fabulous suggestions! We really appreciate it, and keep them coming if you are reading this thread and have suggestions to add! I will be researching ALL of the places suggested, so we can make an educated decision on where to stay. Cheers!

Posted by
1455 posts

Last October I stayed at the Thistle Hotel, Marble Arch. It was 1/2 block from the tube station, and a stone's throw from Harrods, Hard Rock, Picadilly, and all the major sites.

Its not a historic, quaint building but the location is great. The web site has specials and they have AC.

I would recommend asking for the courtyard view. Its not as pretty but the doublepane glass windows makes the room very quiet.

My friends had the one facing the street, and they were kept up by the club downstairs.

Or, try tripadvisor.com

Posted by
71 posts

I highly recommend the Radisson Edwardian Grafton Hotel on Tottencourt Road. Room was air conditioned. Full English breakfast buffet that was fabulous. Tea pot, iron, and fridge in the room. $95 plus tax per night. I booked through Expedia.

Don't be fooled by the Tottencourt Road address. The hotel is actually across the street from the Warren Street tube on the Victoria line. Great location!! Nice pub around the corner. McDonald's on the corner. I was hungry for a carmel sundae. Also, a little store a few doors from the hotel for water and snacks.

I recommend the Westminster to Greenwich Cruise on the Thames. Also, Hampton Court Palace and the Cabinet War Rooms where Churchill worked during WWII. In the evening, I did the Pub Walk along the Thames. Don't miss Windsor Castle outside the city.

Enjoy!

Posted by
977 posts

We have just recently returned after 7 days/nights in London. Can highly recommend the Ibis Euston.
50 metres from Euston station and 10 minutes walk from St.Pancras and Kings Cross stations.
This accommodation falls well within your budget and you will have plenty of change.

Posted by
22 posts

I just returned from a four night stay in London. I stayed at the Fox and Anchor. It is an Edwardian pub that has been refurbished this year. It is not in a touristy area and is very close to the tube. It also has a lot of places to eat nearby.

It was between 200-230 before tax to stay there, more expensive during the week. Make sure you are shown how to work the AC when you check in and ask for a room in the back (only two rooms per floor).

There is no elevator only steep stairs as this is above a pub. It can get loud on Friday-Saturday (hence asking for a back room and making sure the AC works).

Posted by
643 posts

Wow, I just checked and the cheapest rate I could find at the Radisson Edwardian Grafton Hotel was $240 a night (both on their site and expedia.com), so you were lucky to get $96 a night! Must have been in the winter time. Otherwise looks very nice, but reviews on TripAdvisor are just so-so.

Posted by
3207 posts

For our numerous trips to London, we always stay at The Cherry Court Hotel. Mrs. Patel, the owner of this small hotel, is charming. The rooms are clean and secure, and the hotel is 'London' charming. We have never visited in the summer, so you'll need to check the AC issue. The hotel is on a quiet residential street but within a couple of city blocks to Victoria bus and train stations. It has a small patio in the back in the Mews. There are many pubs and restaurants in the area. A double runs about $110.00, with a breakfast fruit basket. The rooms are small, and if you need to sit, you will sit on your bed. But if you plan to spend that much time in your room, not in your bed, you might as well stay home!

Posted by
97 posts

Hi again, Julene

I just remembered the first b and b my husband and I stayed in....in London's Marylebone area. It is called Hart House. You might like to look at it too..
harthouse.co.uk

Good luck,

Mollie

Posted by
525 posts

Check out The Falcon Hotel near Paddington Train Station. We are paying around 75 GBP with a 5% discount because we will be there 6 nights. I think if longer they give you a 10% discount. They come with high comments on Tripadvisor. They have been very pleasant to deal with in corresponding with them. It is close to Hyde Park. It includes a full breakfast. This is our first trip to England and hopefully all is as advertised. The Cherry Court has been recommended on this page also. We leave in 29 days.

Posted by
25 posts

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd post for future readers. I just booked the Intercontinental (5 stars) across from Buckingham Palace on Priceline for $160/night (yes, that's dollars), which includes all taxes and fees, for our upcoming August trip. We're staying 3 nights. Hotels/B&Bs in London (and the UK in general) are crazily priced. Go to betterbidding.com and spend an hour learning how to effectively profit from Hotwire and Priceline. The site provides specific bidding strategies so that risk is minimized and you get what you want. Do this bit of research and be rewarded. In 10 minutes, I got a heck of a deal that beats the prices of all Rick's suggestions.