Please sign in to post.

Yorkshire Dales

Any suggestions for a village for a base for walking in the Dales? We'll be taking public transport from London and using our feet and buses to get around locally. I've done several long distance walks but for this trip, we'd like to have a base for 5 or 6 days. Quality but budget accommodation suggestions welcomed.

Posted by
2773 posts

Leyburn....Thirsk....Bedale...all of these would be nice. I don't think you could go wrong where ever you decide to stay. Yorkshire Dales are beautiful.

Posted by
5678 posts

Did you check out the Yorkshire Dales National Park website? they have links to accommodations. If you don't have a car, it might be a good idea to stay further into the park. I saw some interesting discussions on this issue on the Lonely Planet forum. Pam

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for your suggestions. I've booked at Bridge End Farm in Grassington which looks to be a lovely place on the River Wharfe. They have a semi-self-catering double room for a reasonable price. We can take the train to Skipton and a bus to Grassington where the hosts will pick us up.

Posted by
138 posts

Grassington is a gorgeous little village! We spent a night there last summer on our drive around the Yorkshire Dales. The movie Calendar Girls was filmed in the area, with some scenes set in Burnsall (with a very scenic bridge over the River Wharfe) and Kettlewell. Skipton is an interesting market town worth exploring and having a meal. I think you made a GREAT choice!! Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
177 posts

Grassington is a great choice. We drove thru Grassington on the way to Skipton. We had lunch in Pately Bridge which is nearby. After lunch we watched a 'group' of sheep who were watching a youth soccer game from the band stand. Niiderdale looks good for hiking. The Brimham Rocks is nearby also.