Please sign in to post.

York

I will be in London and York in July. Right now we have a train leaving on at 9am Thursday morning from London to York. We will leave York at 1:30pm on Saturday. My problem is that I think that is too much time in York. We have about 4 days in London.

So here are my questions -
1. Are there any daytrips from York that would be worthwhile on that Friday?
2. Should I just leave late afternoon instead of morning on that Thursday? It would cost me 40 pounds to change the 4 tickets. But time is money, right?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by
2700 posts

I agree with Tim. It is defintely not too much time. York is a fantastic town full of history. You will have no trouble keeping busy.

Posted by
518 posts

I think you will find York itself very interesting. The York Minster is absolutely beautiful. If you like the countryside, the Dales area around York is very lovely. Will you have a car? We drove to Thirsk, the town where the James Herriott books (All Creatures Great and Small, etc.) were set. We actually wished we had stayed in Thirsk because it is really nice. The area is still very rural. We spent most of one day just driving and looking. A lot of sheep are raised here. There is a great Herriott museum in Thirsk as well. His real name was Alfred Wight. In case you are not familiar with the books and tv series, he was a country vet in the first half of the 20th century. The books concern his experiences as a country vet. I think you will find plenty to occupy your time. I think I read somewhere that York is the second most touristed city in the UK. By the way, in case you have a car, I don't think we would have ever found our B&B in York without a GPS. The city is actually pretty large and very confusing -- especially in the old part. We also just wandered around on the day we drove, then entered our B&B's address.

Posted by
591 posts

Actually, I think just 2 half days and 1 full day is not enough time in York. York Minster, Jorvik Viking Centre, Nat'l Ralway Museum, York Castle Museum, the Shambles, etc. are all worth seeing. In case you're not interested in some of these, then you might want to opt for a day trip up to Castle Howard. Thirsk is also good if you're a James Herriot fan.

Posted by
3428 posts

That is just about right for a family in York. In addition to the things mentioned by others, you can do a cruise on the River Ous, take a day trip out to Warrick castle and there is a local microbrewery that does tours of their beer making and gives you samples. There are lots of other things to do, gardens, etc. The market there is very good as are the shops in the Shambles. Just at the entrance to the market and the Shambles is our favorite restruant- Gert and Henery's. Excellent food including traditional English dishes such as roast beef with yorkshire pudding, fish and chips, and pies. We like to stay at the Royal York- the hotle that is right next to the station. It has a beautiful, small garden and its just an easy walk to the town center. By the way- the Jorvic "museum" is really fun- it covers the history of York including Vikings and Romans in a "disney" type ride. Really cool. I am certain your family will love York.

Posted by
1815 posts

Another interesting destination east from York is Whitby Abbey, a lovely ruin next to an interesting town. Try to walk up from the town, enjoying the famous steps up to the abbey that Dracula supposedly walked up when he landed there. In York, if you want to visit the Jorvik Viking Centre, go first thing in the morning. It gets crowded. Don't miss the fascinating museum under Yorkminster. We really enjoyed York. If you enjoy literary companions on your trip, try to read one of Candace Robb's Owen Archer mysteries, set in medieval York.

Posted by
5678 posts

Howard Castle is just north of York and I bet that there are tours to it. Another sight that is near by is Rivaux Abbey which is wonderful!

Pam

Posted by
264 posts

I have a slightly different reaction and maybe its just a case of being biased by living in the area. York is wonderful and definitely a nice investment of time. I think where you might steer yourself a bit wrong is that you are going to focus 3 days on York to get one full day there. Seems a bit much for York.

If I was in your shoes and assuming money was not a factor. I would take the extra time in London - Leave at night. Have the full day in York with a Saturday morning available for picking up anything else interesting.

If you do find that it is too much time I agree with the poster who suggested Castle Howard. It is close enough and interesting.

Posted by
95 posts

I'm putting in my vote for Castle Howard if you want to leave York for awhile. If you're up to it, the Ghost Walk in the evening was a bit of fun...OH, and all the places mentioned by the other posts here, too....You'll find things to keep you busy, don't forget to walk the entire length of the wall!

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone SO much for all of the suggestions. You've made my decision both more informed and more difficult!
:)