Please sign in to post.

Where to Stay in London

I'm sure there are endless possibilities, but I'm looking for suggestions about where (what part) to stay in London as well as hotel suggestions. I'm looking for something relatively economical, yet located in a good area for walking around and close to public transportation.
Thanks!

Posted by
345 posts

Depends on time of year. I've just stayed at LSE Carr-Saunders and enjoyed it - very, very affordable for London 45 pounds double, 30 for a single), massive breakfast, within a few minutes of two Northern Line tube stops and bus lines. We walked to plays, to Leicester Square, etc. Area feels very safe, even late at night. Keep in mind though that these are student dorms.

I like the area, and that around the British Museum. I'd really suggest it being better to stay central and enjoy walking, rather than always having to be on the tube. I use it, but when tired or in a hurry. It's allowed me to see much more than I ever would have.

Posted by
780 posts

I recommend using the tube to everywhere in London. Otherwise, you will limit yourself so much!! I randomly got off at different stops and discovered so many fun areas - Kensington, Covent Garden and the 7 Dials, Camden town, Southwark, Shepards Bush, Earls Court, Maryleborne, Whitechapel, etc.

Fun to see the different areas, residential areas, shopping areas and parks.

Posted by
32201 posts

Karen,

I'd suggest staying in the Victoria / Belgravia area of London. It's within reasonable walking distance to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Bridge and other sites. It's also very close the London Victoria station so good Tube access to anywhere in London.

It's a really nice area and there are some great dining establishments in the vicinity. You might try Santini's if your food budget will allow. The Ebury Wine Bar is great too.

On my last visit to London, I stayed at This Hotel. It was very comfortable and the owners were wonderful. I've heard good reports on This Hotel also. You might check the London or England Guidebooks for other listings and of course Trip Advisor.

Happy travels!

Posted by
3580 posts

I stayed at the EasyHotel at Paddington last year. While I wasn't thrilled with the hotel, I was impressed with the area for its convenience to transit. Trains, Underground, and buses to other parts of the city and country depart from there. And, in contrast to the Victoria area, there are many businesses along the streets of the area so you don't have to go inside the train station to buy a sandwich if you don't want to. Having said that, Paddington station has two grocery stores and several eating establishments. I'll be staying in that neighborhood on my next visit to London.

Posted by
85 posts

I agree with choosing the area near Paddington Station. So convenient! We stayed at the Rhodes Hotel (http://www.rhodeshotel.com/) two times -- last November and last April. It's within a 5-minute walk of both Paddington and Lancaster Gate stations, and offers free wireless internet and a/c in all rooms. Also, we used Heathrow Connect to get to Paddington, which was quick and economical.

:)

Posted by
345 posts

"I recommend using the tube to everywhere in London. Otherwise, you will limit yourself so much!! I randomly got off at different stops and discovered so many fun areas - Kensington, Covent Garden and the 7 Dials, Camden town, Southwark, Shepards Bush, Earls Court, Maryleborne, Whitechapel, etc.

Fun to see the different areas, residential areas, shopping areas and parks."

From where I've been staying, I've walked to and through all of those areas. And enjoyed watching as neighbourhoods change when moving place to place. It hasn't been limiting at all.

It's just not accurate to say that you're limited if you choose to walk rather than always be on the tube. A combination of both can be fantastic and very helpful. I wouldn't trade my walking, as I've been as far south as Pimlico thus far, north up well into Camden, east to the Tower, and West to the edge of Kensington Gardens. And that was in the first week! I also used the tube when tired, in a hurry, or later at night.

I agree that staying near a station is great, but not every journey needs to happen on it. Especially when entire lines frequently get shut down, both scheduled and not. I've had to redo and replan tube journeys in the last week due to stations and lines being shut down. Which really lends to choosing a neighbourhood you feel safe in and can do a bit of walking.

Posted by
780 posts

JumpinBug, let me clarify by saying I wasnt saying NOT to walk. I walked all over London, i.e. Bloomsbury to Notting Hill, Tower Hill to Shoreditch, etc.

I was just stating that to just stay in the central vicinity is limiting. I have taken the tube to Brent Cross and walked around and took a bus and ended up in Camden, etc.
I was just thinking that to just stay "centrally" and walk around that perimeter is more limiting than branching out and taking the tube to other areas and walking inwards.

Taking the tube to Shepards Bush than walking back to Earls court was interesting and fun, as I tend to choose to be off the beaten path and find new places.

I also usually visit the BBC in White City and see a taping of a show (i get tickets online beforehand, free), then visit the huge mall Westfield Shopping Centre right next store, just to mingle with the locals and visit the food court, which is much more interesting than Panda Express and Subway in American ones!

Posted by
3551 posts

You might say what econ range is to you as London is expensive in general. If you are traveling with another to share you can save on B&B's or sim type hotels w/ share bath facilities. and remember everyone says how easy tube is to use , yes but the fares can add up fast so factor that into your per night budget.

Posted by
3580 posts

I love riding in front at the top of the double-decker buses in London. Bus and Tube riding costs can be contained by using an Oyster Card. You won't pay over the amount for a one-day pass. Look up Transit for London (tfl) for lots of details. It is cheaper to ride only buses than to ride a combination, but I don't worry about it. From Paddington there is a bus (#15, I think) that crosses the city and ends somewhere past the Tower of London.

Posted by
29 posts

I greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions. I am looking into all of this. Keep them coming. Thank you!!!

Posted by
3428 posts

For walking, you can't beat the Covent Garden/Leciester Square/Picadilly area of London. Unfortunately, we stayed at the Mountbaten, near Covent Garden (as a special treat to ourselves) which is not at all inexpensive, when we stayed in this area. However, there are LOTS of hotels in the vicinity. Check TripAdvisor.