Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London?

Arriving Heathrow Tue,Sept 14(very early), probably following RS's 4 day tour of London then taking the train to Paris or Normandy on Sat,Sept.18. Which neighborhood/area would be our best option on a budget (double en suite for $100-125 inc. breadfast)? Hotel or B&B? We don't care about nightlife, but would like a safe area to walk & dine. Mostly, we want to be safe, comfortable, good sleep & breakfast and not have to spend a lot of time or money to travel everywhere. Thanks

Posted by
94 posts

Steve, I'm not taking a RS tour, but following the London in 4 days plan in his book. What I meant was, with those locations in mind, which area would be most centrally located and budget friendly? Thanks

Posted by
55 posts

I just made a reservation at the Ridgemount Hotel on Gower Street-a great location next to the British Museum-for a triple paid 99 pounds ensuite but singles and doubles are cheaper-especially if you don't do- ensuite.Great reviews on Trip Advisor-like 57 out of 1000 hotels in London.Family run-breakfast included.Everyone says clean. Good Luck Kathy

Posted by
32167 posts

Carol,

You might also consider the Victoria Station neighborhood of London. It's close to great transportation links (either Victoria rail or coach stations), is a nice quiet residential area, walking distance to Buckingham Palace and other major sights, and has some nice restaurants in the area.

For "budget friendly" accommodations, you might have a look at Cartref House B&B or The Lime Tree Hotel.

Happy travels!

Posted by
15559 posts

I think your budget is not realistic for anything central, except staying in one of the colleges that rents out dorm rooms. There are many of those rooms available in September. They are spartan, and no breakfast, but almost all have kitchen privileges and they are in good locations. They don't have AC.

Do a search, there have been several suggestions on the helpline in the last couple of weeks.

The best I have found, for a hotel with decent reviews on Trip Advisor is about 70 pounds (and getting more expensive in US$ by the day) for a single room - doubles are more expensive. Not sure if that even includes breakfast.

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks, Kathy, but Ridgemount is gone for that week.
Ken, Cartref sounded good, but Trip Ad. reviews said bathroom was too small for anybody other than a thin person (which I've read about several B&Bs).
Steve, waiting to hear back from Vicarage Hotel.
Chani, you're right about price. I should have said pounds instead of dollars!
Thanks

Posted by
85 posts

Try the Rhodes Hotel, above Hyde Park, conveniently located between the Paddington and Lancaster Gate tube stops: http://www.rhodeshotel.com/

We have stayed there twice and loved it. According to their website today, a deluxe room is 100 GBP, including breakfast. The rooms and bathrooms were spotless, and the owners were very friendly and accommodating.

:)

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks Linda, looks great waiting to hear from them!

Posted by
1113 posts

Try Luna Simone Hotel, it's in Rick's book. Based on Rick's recommendations and the rave reviews I saw on tripadvisor, I booked it for Oct. I'm paying 100 GBP a night but that includes breakfast and taxes. I have to show them Rick's book and pay cash to get this rate. The room I booked is for 2 people w/ 2 twin beds.

Posted by
2 posts

i just booked the parkwood at marble arch for november. never stayed there but trip advisor reviews were good. it is near paddington station and hyde park.

Posted by
94 posts

YEAH! I just got my confirmation at the Rhodes Hotel! Chris responded to my email that they did have rooms. Got a double en suite w/ jacuzzi tub & terrace for 100 GBS a night (inc. breakfast & taxes) Thanks to all for your great suggestions & advice.

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks Claudette, but Luna is unavailable. Missed out on Rhodes Hotel also. Vicarage only had a triple. Any other ideas?

Posted by
25 posts

I just booked at the Euro Hotel based on recommendations from other RS readers.

Posted by
81 posts

I researched everything from BnB's to hotels. I seemed to have more luck with www.vrbo.com which are privately owned condos/properties throughout London in different districts. I had no problem with mine considering payment and communication. If I were to travel again, I would use this website. Good luck!

Posted by
1878 posts

You may have to compromise on the en suite for your price range but I recommend Morgan Guest House in Belgravia. http://www.morganhouse.co.uk/ It's in Rick's book, and I have stayed there twice, most recently last February. Excellent location in a quiet area near Buckingham Palace. (Longish) walk to the V&A, Harrod's Close to the tube. Don't tell anyone though because this place is a really good deal :).

Posted by
463 posts

consider budgeting more. seriously. we stayed somewhere 'inexpensive' and ended up spending so much on transportation (taxis are insanely expensive, but were our only option many times), we would have spent less over all had we paid more for a better located room. london is huge, and the tube is extremely unpredictable (though you'll be there during the week, which is good. it mostly shuts down on weekends.)

Posted by
14480 posts

Carol,

Based on you schedule and travel plans, I would consider the King's Cross area, lots of budget B&Bs there, especially convenient if you take the Euro-Star from London to Paris. Or, half way stay in Paddington, from which the Heathrow Express services, ie. LHR-Paddington, outside of Paddington take the #205 bus,30 mins, to Kings Cross, get off at Euston, if you don't want to deal with the Tube from Paddington, which requires transfering at Oxford Circus. I took this route 2 months ago by bus and by Tube since I always stay in the King's Cross/St. Pancras area.

Posted by
20 posts

We stayed just a few blocks from both Euston Station and St. Pancras/King's Cross in Cartwright Gardens, Bloomsbury @ Mentone Hotel. There are about 4 hotels on Cartwright Gardens, blocks from Russell Square tube (Piccadilly Line). Great location for our 4 days since bus stops are even closer than the tube!

Posted by
251 posts

Carol,have you found a hotel yet? We stayed at the Lancaster Hall Hotel for about $140 USD last year and that included a FULL breakfast complete with coffee/tea, meats, cheeses, fruit, bread, cereals. That included taxes also. Email me for details. Very safe and convenient area. Cindy

Posted by
10 posts

We stayed in Westminster at the Days Inn (of all places!) Clean, safe and quaint. Short walk to the tube. Rooms are small but I'm a large gal and I didn't have any trouble in the loo. I find some place too small to move around. Also had a free breakfast buffet and a lift.

Posted by
72 posts

i've stayed in the victoria station neighborhood twice and it offers a good number of relatively inexpensive hotels many of which offer a free breakfast. It's very convenient for jumping on the tube, or taking walks though london. It is also safe, clean and about as quiet as you could expect in a major city.