Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London

We spent half a week or so in London last May, and are planning to go back for a week. This would be a just-London stay. We're saving a return to the rest of the country for another, longer trip.
We've been to London twice, and have been underwhelmed with the places we stayed. Granted, the times there have been "pass-throughs." Now we'd like to settle in, stay in one place, and head out for sight-seeing each day. We are not glitzy people; we like homey places and good food, and that's about it. Here in the States, we live in a small, rural town on a farm. In London, we'd like a home, where we can cook some of our own foods, but in a neighborhood where we can find a quiet, mid-range pub for nightly suppers/occasional meals/talking with local people. Impossible? Suggestions? No, I don't have a specific price rang in mind; I'd like to find a mid-range place, and budget with that in mind. Any suggestions?

Posted by
8660 posts

Vancouver Studio Apartments. Get a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the courtyard. Small rooms but good price in the vibrant Bayswater neighborhood. Two tube stations and countless bus stops for public transport. Close to Paddington Station. Near to Hyde Park. Unless it's been turned into a Gastropub the Prince Edward on corner of Hereford and Princes Square is exactly the type of pub you seek. An easy two block stroll from the apartments. I'm adding this a few days after I originally posted. You can check the airbnb website for apartments. This place is in a good location and given how expensive London is a good price I thought. http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/164369 Haven't stayed here but have used airbnb and gotten great accommodations.
Happy Travels.

Posted by
1010 posts

Three years in a row my husband and I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza, South Kensington (100 Cromwell). It is directly across the street from the Gloucester tube station. It is a lovely hotel in a great neighborhood of South Kensington. It is part of the Priority Club hotel point system. You earn points to stay at Holiday Inns, Crowne Plaza's, Intercontinental hotels in the world. We are returningn to London in June. We couldn't get a room, as the hotel was booked. We are staying at the Doubletree Westminister this time. It is part of the Hilton Hotel chain. I would still recommend the Crowne Plaza to anybody.

Posted by
3098 posts

Belgravia B&B has suite/apartments too. Close to Victoria station in a nice neighborhood ( Ebury Street).