Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London

My wife and I will be in London May 20 for 3 days. We are looking for a hotel that is relatively close to a Tube station or bus stop as I am not able to walk a long distance. I am thinking to spend between 70 and 120 pounds a night for a hotel. We are hoping to see St. Pauls, Westminster Abby, and London Tower. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Posted by
970 posts

I don't have any specific recommendations, but will suggest you use Google Maps while you research hotels. When you identify a candidate, you can locate it on Google Maps and then see what's located nearby, including Tube stations, to a fine level of detail. Be aware that traversing larger Tube stations can involve a surprising amount of walking, and stairs. The stairs aren't huge, but it isn't unusual to walk up a dozen or so steps, walk a hundred feet or so and then walk down a dozen steps. I blame the Victorians. Budgeting a bit of money to cover cabs might be a good thing, especially at the end of a long day.

Posted by
23 posts

Actually I just started to use Google maps while searching for a hotel. You are right, a taxi is a good option. I see there are a few bus stops near some of the hotels so I will keep that in mind as well. I guess I should look for hotels a little closer to the main sights. I am surprised that many of the hotels in London that I inquired about are nearly booked up for May. London is a busy place. Thanks for your help

Posted by
149 posts

Are you open to a guided tour? If so, here's one you might like: http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk/city-tour.htm It's a bit expensive, but may work for you. Please keep in mind that although they pick up from many hotels, you will have to make your way back to your hotel on your own. As far as where to stay, I've stayed all over London, and I like The Strand best because it is very central. It's close to Covent Garden, theatre district, Trafalgar Square, River Thames, Westminster Abbey, Millennium Wheel, O2 and other sights. (I stay at the Strand Palace, which is a large hotel. Some people like it, some don't). Here's a brief description of neighborhoods: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-s204/London:United-Kingdom:Neighborhoods.html ( I can't get the link to work, so you'll have to copy and paste). Do you like chain hotels, or do you prefer small hotels and B&Bs? You can find discounted hotel prices on http://www.wotif.com/ Also check http://www.londontown.com/hotels/ Whichever you choose, please check out http://www.tripadvisor.com/ for traveler reviews and pictures. Good luck!

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks again for your help. I will search on the sites that you have suggested and I am sure I will come up with some good results.

Posted by
643 posts

Hi Mark, I'd recommend looking at the website www.londontown.com - they have a great map view of the available hotels and the prices for your dates. They also seem to have lower room prices than other sites like Expedia. The best location for quick access to all those places would be around Earl's Court or Gloucester Road. There is superb access to tube lines going to most all locations and hotels adjacent to the tube stations.

Posted by
23 posts

I am looking into your suggestions. Thanks for the information.

Posted by
1113 posts

Try Luna Simone, I stayed there last October. It's a 10 minute walk from Victoria Station but you can also hop on Bus 24 from the station and it stops right in front of the hotel. The rate was 100 pounds a night and includes breakfast. I heard about it via RS of course.

Posted by
23 posts

I tried the Luna Simone but they only have one room left and it is on the fourth floor with no lift. I could probably do it but it would be a bit of a pain lugging a suitcase up all those stairs. I am looking at the Sanctuary House hotel right now and it has a lift as well as a bus stop quite close although it is more expensive. Thanks for your help

Posted by
6 posts

bed & breakfast london There you have a big list with hotels and b&bs at London near de centric zone. Greetings!

Posted by
1010 posts

Hello. My husband and I are in our 60's. We visited London in May of 2009 and 2010. We will be there again this coming September. We were very happy at the Crowne Plaza Kensington (100 Cromwell SW7 4ER, London). It is direclty across the street form the Gloucester tube staiton. Very convenient hotel. Plus we used Gray Line tours during both trips. They pick you up across the street form the Crowne Plaza, at the Holiday Inn hotel. Otherwise you meet the day tours at the Victoria Station. The Gray Line tours can be booked here in the U.S. or when you get to London. They do a great job of touring all the various sites. We went to Windstor, Bath, around London, Stonhenge, etc. We have used Gray Line in Canada, London, Paris, New York, Boston, Bruges, Washing, D.C. Paris, Italy, etc. We also took the tube to Cambridge, Oxford, Wimbeldon, etc. The tube is wonderful. After we got to Cambridge or Oxford, we took Hop-on-Hop Off tours of the towns. London is fabulous. Elaine Donelaine@cox.net

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks for your suggestions. I will check out Grey Line Tours as they sound like a good company. Regards MARK

Posted by
138 posts

The Premier Inn County Hall may be in your price range and is in a good location for some of the sights you want to see.

Posted by
52 posts

Look up London Walks.com. They also have the best guides and the best prices on a number of taxi tours. It would really be worth the price if you want to see an area, rather than just one sight.

Posted by
8 posts

Hello. I saw this post, so I had to register. I will be organizing a business meeting in London for my client. I need a top notch place to stay. I came across The Dorchester on this site about michelin star hotels in london which looks like a good choice. Do you have any experience with this place?
Thanks

Posted by
782 posts

Ditto. I'm staying at Premier Inn County Hall in early August. The reviews and price were great. It is in the perfect location for what you want to see. I got an amazing deal in August, it may still be in your price range for May.

Posted by
2023 posts

Have you considered Priceline? Bidding is done by selecting an area and if you stick with **** hotels you will get a decent place. We got a hotel for 100 USD in the Glouceter Rd area. We will probably go this route on any future trips to London. Someone mentioned the Dorchester-that would come at a high price. Look at Better Bidding to see what others are getting. We have used PL for lots of cities and have never been disappointed. We like to save money as much as we can in travel.

Posted by
124 posts

I'm not sure how far you can walk but be aware that you may have to walk quite a distance in the tube stations. Changing lines or just getting to some of the tube cars often involves going up/down steps, escalators several times. There are some lifts/elevators so keep an eye out for them but you often have to do a lot of walking. Although it may not be as efficient (time wise) riding buses might involve significantly less walking. Couple buses with some taxi rides and you may save some significant walks.

Posted by
15 posts

I am also staying at the Premier Inn County Hall in July great reviews and close to Waterloo station...