Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London?

We are planning our first european vacation next October. London is our first stop for 3 nights. Where to stay? Best location and on a moderate budget. Then, we are off to Paris for 1 week, then Rome for our last week. We have our hotel in Paris and Rome, but need help with London. Thanks everyone! Jackie

Posted by
47 posts

The London Vicarage Hotel is quite nice. Its in the Notting Hill/Kensington neighborhood. Its an easy walk to many things (food, tube, etc). Its a lovely hotel and it has a full English breakfast. The winter rate is, I believe, 83 pounds for a double with shared bath. I assume October is part of their winter/off-season rate.

Other people on this sight really like the Victoria neighborhood (and the Lime Tree Hotel).

If you want budget options the Easyhotels are amazingly affordable but shoebox sized. I recently stayed at the Oxford Hotel on Craven Terrace near Paddington/Lancaster Gate tube stop and I was very pleased with the location (easy walk to Notting Hill Gate, great tube/transit access) and happy with the hotel itself for the price.

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you for the info. We do want our own bath, vs a shared bath. I also heard of the Lime Tree per Rick's book on London. any other suggestions?

Posted by
704 posts

Jackie: In September we stayed at the Jesmond Hotel--on Gower Street in Bloomsbury, very good ratings on TripAdvisor, a nice breakfast, a few minutes from the British Museum, several metro stations within a few minutes walk, a bus line right out front that takes one to Westminster Abbey, etc. To get to Jesmond take the tube direct from Heathrow to Russell Square and walk a few blocks to the hotel. Have a great trip.

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you for the references. I will check them out. I appreciate everyone's help. We have never been to europe and I am doing all the research and planning. Quite a daunting task, but fun!

Posted by
8293 posts

Jackie: If you find The Vicarage too expensive (I do) have a look at the Ridgemont Hotel on Gower Street. Ensuite doubles are much less pricey and you are within walking distance of the British Museum, and a couple of streets away from shopping and restaurants.