Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Dublin??

I've seen a few recommendations on this helpline, but not many. My husband and I will be in Dublin for about 3 days. I was looking at different hostels, but since the costs are 'per person' it seems more expensive than just booking a hotel room (since we would prefer a private room, but not necessarily a private bathroom). I'm hoping some of you have had great experiences at affordable places. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted by
9363 posts

Try the Glen Guesthouse on Gardiner St, near the Custom House. It's just a couple of blocks from O'Connell St. and across the bridge from the Temple Bar/Trinity College area. www.glenguesthouse.com

Posted by
13 posts

Nancy, it looks beautiful, but a little pricey for us. Anyone else know of something a little cheaper? Thanks again!

Posted by
9363 posts

You're not going to have an easy time finding something less than 40-55 euros a night in Dublin (though those are prices now -- you don't say when you are traveling, so maybe they are higher when you are going). Gardiner St. is full of guesthouses and hostels, though, so you have a lot of choices. Good luck!

Posted by
319 posts

Erin,

My wife and I spent 4 nights in May at Ophira House in Dun Laoghaire. It is south of the city center and a 15 minute train ride in.

John and Cathy were wonderful hosts, and we enjoyed being in a quiet town at night. If I remember, we paid about 40 Euro per person per night, breakfast included.

There are many B&B's in this area, so you have lots of options.

Good luck with your planning,
Michael

Posted by
3551 posts

Due to costs we stayed in lovely Dun Laoghaire. Local bus can be used easily to get to Dublin. Our B&B was Innisfree B and B. great hosts walk to bus stop.inismyth@eircom.net
in RS guidebk.

Posted by
1288 posts

In 2002, my husband and I stayed at Four Courts Hostel. I looked and looked for a place in our budget and this place was really the best option for us. Our room had a private bath. The only down side were bunk beds instead of a double or queen. I just went on their web site, and they show a "twin ensuite" (which is what we had) for 36-50 euros. If you don't care about having your own bathroom, they are showing 33-45 euros. Their web site is fourcourtshostel.com At the time we stayed there, I could not find any hotel close to this location that was less expensive.

Posted by
1014 posts

We need to know when you are going. I have found prices on Booking.com for 30E for two nights in a Hostel in mid March. Hotels start at 90E for two nights, depending on when you are going.

Posted by
13 posts

We will be there the end of March. Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Posted by
32202 posts

Erin,

You might have a look at the Harding Hotel web site, as they have both a Hotel and Hostel on the same property. The Hostel advertises "family rooms", but I didn't check the rates so not sure what the cost is (I stayed in the Hotel).

That's a good location in Dublin and an easy walk to the Temple Bar area. Darkey Kelley's Bar can be a bit noisy at night, but a good set of Ear Plugs can minimize that.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
46 posts

We stayed at the Ferry House in Dun Laoghaire as the Dublin costs were high. We walked 2 blocks or so to the train stop to Dublin. Look it up in Rick Steves Ireland book. We were very happy all around with the B&B.