Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Dublin

I am going to Dublin for a wedding near St.Stephen's Green, but will also be doing the touristy stuff as well. I am overwhelmed with where to stay...I would like to stay pretty central, but I am willing to go further out for a decent place to stay. I found a few places by looking in Rick Steve's guidebooks and Tripadvisor. Has anyone ever stayed at Albany House, Harding Hotel, Baggot Court Townhouse, Wynn's Hotel or Arlington Hotel O'Connel Bridge? If anyone has any suggestions or a favorite place to stay in Dublin please let me know! I am looking to spend around 150$ or less per night. Thanks!

Posted by
29 posts

Dear Tanya, Give the Leeson Bridge House a try. I've stayed twice (after living in Dublin for a year), and have been happy with each stay. http://www.leesonbridgehouse.ie/ They are on Lesson Street, just across the canal, about a 5-10 minute walk from the southeast corner of Stephen's Green. Good luck, and have a fantastic trip! Happy St Patrick's Day, Peter

Posted by
973 posts

Hi Tanya, We stay in Wynn's hotel for a week or two each summer and love it. It is old fashioned but it a nice way. The staff are really helpful and go out of their way to make you feel at home. The location, just of O'Connell street and within a few minutes walk of a stop for the Hop On Hop Off bus and the a pick up point for the tours going out of the city. Using the tram stop outside the door, you have easy access to the central bus station and the two main train stations. The coach service for the airport is also within walking distance. In ing your room there is a trade off between small quite rooms at the back of the hotel or larger rooms facing on to the street where you can hear the tram from time to time - we always take room facing the street and never had a problem with it. There is a ballroom on the second floor where various functions are held during the week, but most finish around 11:00pm and about 1:30am at the weekend. So you might want to ask for a room away from the ballroom. The Irish breakfast is great there, but it is a good idea to turn up a bit early when the staff are not so occupied as you'll be seated more quickly and get better service. The restaurant is not open every evening but there is great pub meals to be had in the Saints and Scholars bar on the ground floor. The atmosphere in the bar is more of an Irish country pub because Wynns is traditionally the preferred stop off point of people from the West of Ireland. The lift or elevator as you call it is slow and small, but if you got big cases they will take them in the kitchen lift on the other side for you. As with most Irish hotels these days some of the staff are not Irish, so you need to adjust your English accordingly. Enjoy your trip, Jim.

Posted by
2081 posts

welcome, i was in Dublin early last year and stayed at the Harding using RS book as reference. Its x from the Christ Church. iirc, its like 2 short blocks to the river, 3 short blocks to the Temple Bar and about 5 blocks to O Conner street (the main drag). fyi, the hotel also has a restaruant next/attached to it and was conveient. I was walking all around dublin most of the time. But i did use the tram a couple times and used the hop on-off more so since it was gong to the places i wanted to go.. the hop on-off bus stops just around the corner of the hotel. Its an easy walk to Dublin Castle from the hotel too. what i did to choose the hotel was to map out where things were and to try to find something central to minimize the walking/travel time. happy trails.

Posted by
10 posts

I'm going to Dublin in the fall, so I'm sure the rates are different, but look into the Charles Stewart House B&B. Right in Dublin and great rates and the place looks cozy. Have fun!

Posted by
1806 posts

What month are you going to Dublin? During the summer, Trinity College rents out rooms (both ensuite and shared bath) to tourists and the rate includes a continental breakfast. It can't be beat for location - you would easily be within walking distance to St. Stephen's Green, Temple Bar, Grafton Street and many tourist sites - and the Book of Kells is right on the campus of Trinity. Grafton Guesthouse on South Great Georges Street sometimes offers online specials and is also very central and provides an easy walk to Dublin Castle, Temple Bar, Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green, etc. Just note there are several pubs and nightclubs on that street, so ask for a room facing the back if you are really sensitive to noise as on weekends when the pubs and clubs shut down there are a lot of people who spill out onto the sidewalks.

Posted by
2081 posts

hi again, one thing i forgot is a must see if youre into books/antiques/buildings. you must see the Trinity library. it kicks A!!. it feels and smells so much like a library with all of those old books in there. and the buildings and the way the upper floors are designed and layed out is so different. happy trails.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks everyone! We are going to be in Dublin from Sept 16-19. I wanted to book early to get the best deal and have more options.

Posted by
1446 posts

We stayed at the Harding Hotel. The hotel was just fine, but I would never stay there again because of the noise. We had asked for a room on the quiet side of the hotel, but they could not accommodate that. So our room was right above the beer garden that's connected to the pub. Even ear plugs could not keep the LOUD noise out on the weekend. We don't mind some noise but this was way beyond what worked for us.